mattcymru

Fr dequevy

I doubt that that's a luthier, or manufacturer. It looks more like a shop sticker, where the guitar was sold. I found this in a corner of t'web, by a n old photo of Soissons...

Il y avait un magasin d'instruments de musique tenu par Raoul Dequevy qui a été mon professeur de musique à l'époque qui m'a appris à jouer de la guitare.

No idea who, what, where or when the guitar was made. B|

Douglas

2 hours ago, mattcymru said:

That's more than I could find so thanks! So likely a worthless bit of junk? 

That's a bit harsh, I'd say. I doubt that it's a 'concert' model, but, unless it's got structural issues, it's a modest guitar, s'all. If you don't want it, give it to someone who might appreciate it for what it is. :)

was this originally designed for steel strings? with the slotted headstock and the way the strings sit in the tailpiece this looks like it might have been designed for nylon strings, is there any sign of a truss rod (usually visible inside the guitar at the neck join) another giveaway is that a nylon strung guitar will have a flat fingerboard with no radius at all.

if it was built for nylon strings then there is a danger that the tension of the steel strings will cause damage to the neck.

Apologies if you already know all this but i've seen the damage that steel strings can do to instruments that weren't built for them.

Matt

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

was this originally designed for steel strings?...

Yes, I'd say that it was made for steel strings; the tuners for nylon strings would have a much wider diameter, and that tailpiece would be typical; nylon would not have ball ends, and would knot around a differently-formed bridge. It reminds me of my very first guitar, a Russian made acoustic with similar features,, and a flat fingerboard. It was difficult to play, especially for a beginner, but I appreciated all the more my upgrade to a Hofner President..! The guitar pictures needs to be re-strung, and the tailpiece drilled a little if the low 'E' string doesn't seat properly. The other end just needs to be correctly wound, with the excess string length clipped off. Yes, it's a modest guitar, but we don't all play Martins or Gibsons, and if it sounds fine, there's no foul. B|

Douglas

35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, I'd say that it was made for steel strings; the tuners for nylon strings would have a much wider diameter, and that tailpiece would be typical; nylon would not have ball ends, and would knot around a differently-formed bridge. It reminds me of my very first guitar, a Russian made acoustic with similar features,, and a flat fingerboard. It was difficult to play, especially for a beginner, but I appreciated all the more my upgrade to a Hofner President..! The guitar pictures needs to be re-strung, and the tailpiece drilled a little if the low 'E' string doesn't seat properly. The other end just needs to be correctly wound, with the excess string length clipped off. Yes, it's a modest guitar, but we don't all play Martins or Gibsons, and if it sounds fine, there's no foul. B|

Douglas

What size strings would you recommend for this? I'll restring it and give it a good clean. It was given to me for free I have other guitars but quite liked the quirkiness of this it looks pretty old too. Be a shame to throw it away! 

13 minutes ago, mattcymru said:

What size strings would you recommend for this? I'll restring it and give it a good clean. It was given to me for free I have other guitars but quite liked the quirkiness of this it looks pretty old too. Be a shame to throw it away! 

Basically it's a choice of material, really. For acoustics, the 'norme' would be phosphor-bronze, but for this guitar, steel strings might well suite, too. If you like the 'gypsy jazz' style, Pyramid do a set  of 10-45 with ball ends; they would probably be close to the strings already on. A more traditional acoustic set would be the Harley-Benson 10-47 coated phosphor set, from Thomann, or D'Addario EZ900 Bronze, 10-50. Maybe best to go to the Thomann site and have a look through the wide range listed there..? You could buy a set from anywhere, of course, but you could at least look through the options. I would only suggest that it's probably not worth paying premium prices for exotic strings, as the guitar wouldn't sound like a Martin, whatever strings are on it. It's a modest guitar; put on a good set of modest strings like those suggested and enjoy. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

I like that, it has real charm. Given the tailpiece and the tuners it looks intended to be steel strung to me. Guessing vintage 50s or early 60s maybe?

I agree start with 10s (extra-light gauge on an acoustic) so the neck isn't shocked.

Could make a nice rural blues guitar, and quite bendy with a set of 10s on.

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 13:06, Soledad said:

I like that, it has real charm. Given the tailpiece and the tuners it looks intended to be steel strung to me. Guessing vintage 50s or early 60s maybe?

I agree start with 10s (extra-light gauge on an acoustic) so the neck isn't shocked.

Could make a nice rural blues guitar, and quite bendy with a set of 10s on.

On 10/03/2023 at 11:08, Dad3353 said:

Douglas

I bow to the Knowledge of Dad and Soledad, I just get paranoid after witnessing damage to guitars that were otherwise in fine fettle,

For the strings i'd echo the advice of going for light gauge or lower tension, if you don't mind the extras cost then Newtone make the heritage strings which are lighter tension and designed especially for older and lighter built guitars or those people who just like the lower tension, I've been using the 12's for years and the tensions are lower than most 11's whilst still having the tone of 12's. as a bonus I find they last about twice as long as the D'addario's i was using previously whilst not costing twice as much

cracks can be repaired, look up twoodfrd on youtube for some examples of how it's done.

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling!
  • Thanks 1

+1 Newtone. A friend uses the low tension 12s and has hand issues so they work v well for him. Wonder if they do the same but 11s - that may be a good idea.
I used their phosphor bronze 12s (normal tension) on my Furch for a while - those basses last for EVER!
Gone back to D'addario 11s for a while but the Newtones went back in the bag for later.

18 hours ago, Matt P said:

I bow to the Knowledge of Dad and Soledad, I just get paranoid after witnessing damage to guitars that were otherwise in fine fettle,

For the strings i'd echo the advice of going for light gauge or lower tension, if you don't mind the extras cost then Newtone make the heritage strings which are lighter tension and designed especially for older and lighter built guitars or those people who just like the lower tension, I've been using the 12's for years and the tensions are lower than most 11's whilst still having the tone of 12's. as a bonus I find they last about twice as long as the D'addario's i was using previously whilst not costing twice as much

cracks can be repaired, look up twoodfrd on youtube for some examples of how it's done.

Matt

Thanks for the advixe, have bought some lightweight Martin 10-47 strings so going to try them and a little clean up. 

• Thanks 1