velvetkevorkian

Locking tuners

I have a Conkin 7 string guitar which has Sperzel locking tuners and a two-point trem, but I'm finding that when using the trem (gently, no Steve Vai acrobatics) the tuning is drifting pretty significantly almost immediately. I thought the point of locking tuners was to mitigate against this? I have had Floyd Rose types in the past that were rock solid, has that just distorted my expectations? The tuning is very stable if I leave the whammy bar alone...

Edited by velvetkevorkian

Locking tuners are only part of the system, the saddles, nut slots and trem spring consistency are potential areas of instability. I had Sperzels on Gretsch, they were fine, the Bigsby at the other end was where the problems lay, however. But I love Bigsbys, so I came up with ways to ensure a reasonably reliant return to pitch: lubricated nut slots; roller saddles and a little up pull on the bar when things slipped. On classic trem designs, I tended to use 4 springs and have it flat loaded for downwards movement only, but not always.

• Like 1