starlight23

Question about Reverb find - newbie asking for help, urgent!

Guys, hello. Before I lock in with the deal,  I have some questions about that particular guitar here

I am a newbie and this guitar interest me because I love the sound to bits.   But I noticed that the lower humbucker is not in a good state,  and I don't know  if it is operative or if I would need to change it.

Secondly, when in talks with reverb seller, the guy asked me for my address to  calculate the shipping, even though he already had a rate posted (living in Europe, so some 40 bucks). The guy bhas a good rep, but asking for confirming the address is still SUS to me.

Also, only paying with credit card, no PayPal account.

Is this legit or does this also rise red flags with you?

4 hours ago, starlight23 said:

Guys, hello. Before I lock in with the deal,  I have some questions about that particular guitar here

I am a newbie and this guitar interest me because I love the sound to bits.   But I noticed that the lower humbucker is not in a good state,  and I don't know  if it is operative or if I would need to change it.

Secondly, when in talks with reverb seller, the guy asked me for my address to  calculate the shipping, even though he already had a rate posted (living in Europe, so some 40 bucks). The guy bhas a good rep, but asking for confirming the address is still SUS to me.

Also, only paying with credit card, no PayPal account.

Is this legit or does this also rise red flags with you?

We can't answer the first question, really, as we can't see the guitar, but, in general, any second-hand guitar could have non-working parts. If you have any doubts about the bridge pick-up, and the Seller can't answer them, you'd be best to factor in the cost of a replacement and decide if it's worth it still.
Reverb are a very reputable Seller, and it would be normal for them to ask for the delivery address; how else would you be able to receive it..? A general 'guide' price for Europe, for instance, is not enough for a shipping quote; indeed, some Sellers will not ship to certain countries that have a bad reputation for shipments getting 'lost'. I'd advise giving your address with no second thoughts.
Similarly with payment terms. Many Sellers offer Paypal, or other, similar, methods, but not all, and it's no reflection on their reliability or credibility. Many high-price items cannot even be paid for by credit card; only a direct bank transfer is accepted sometimes. No, the lack of a Paypal offer is not a reason to doubt the Seller. If you can only pay by this means, and it's not offered, then the deal is off, but that's not the fault of the Seller. Paypal is not a mandatory payment method; it's just a system that some Sellers use, and others don't, that's all.
Hope this helps. B|

Hello,  sorry for link mistake. Hope this one works https://reverb.com/item/65460693-ibanez-sas32fm-transparent-lavender-blue

One question - is it normal for seller to hike up the  shipping costs, despite already noting general shipping costs in description? There was nothing about having to recalculate costs and all... This was an unpleasant surprise, as with one of previous Reverb purchases I didn't have any of the mess.

The seller said the price was too low only after I directly asked him why  did he need my address to 'calculate' the shipping costs. Before that, I offered to pay 75% of asking price plus nominated shipping costs for Europe.  The gear is not mint,and that humbucker set my teeth on edge. He had assured me that the guitar is in working condition, but couldn't answer me about specifics - if the neck is good, any dead spots, the state of strings, if the electronics were working... Just a blanket 🆗.

Currently we both  agreed to decline my offer, as he wanted to sell at a  higher price  but I disagreed, because reasons. Still, would that be a red flag for you  guys?

As I am on the hunt again, another question: found another guitar. While browsing on internet, found a better price for the same model, it is new and has a tremolo arm. Reverb guitar lacks it, and it has a slight cosmetic scratch on the back.

Should I bargain with the seller to lower the price or is that considered bad manners on Reverb? If so, how would I go about that?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

12 minutes ago, starlight23 said:

Hello,  sorry for link mistake. Hope this one works...

Ah, that's better. We can now see that this model has adjustable pole pieces for one of the bridge p/u coils. It's normal that they look like that. The p/us changed from year to year, some like this, others all adjustable, more still fixed, like the neck p/u here. It's not been photographed well enough to make this into a feature, though. A vibrato arm costs only a few euros, so would not be a deal breaker (I wouldn't bother; I don't use 'em anyway...). It's price is a little on the high side; the 'Argus' price would be around 200€, but perhaps not in such good condition as this one. I still don't understand about giving your address, and the shipping will cost whatever they quote you, that's all.
Altogether, it's just a simple choice : is this one worth the asking price, delivered to your door, or not..? If it is, go for it. If there is a better deal later on, elsewhere, wait for it to come around. Hope this helps. B|

Douglas