Happy Notes

Which guitar should I get ??

Hi guys,

My passion is music.  It's pretty much a massive part of my life.  I've got my diploma in piano, I learnt the violin and it's pretty much been that way for years. I've done a bit of ukulele for fun and I think I'd be really good at it but for 2023 I have this itching feel to learn the guitar.  I'm very musical, but guitar business is is a whole new field for me and I really don't know where to start ??  I want my first guitar to be good, professional but most of all sound good. I don't want to buy a mistake and regret it.  Can I ask what you guys suggest ?

Cheers !

A little bit more information, please, in order to give pertinent answers..? Do you have a budget in mind..? Do you mean acoustic guitar (nylon or steel-strung..?) or electric guitar..? What style of music interests you to learn and play..? Where abouts are you..? There will be plenty enough suggestions for you, all the better if we can have replies to the above, please. Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Hi Douglas!  Thanks so much for getting in touch!

Okayy, well... here goes... 😅

1)  I'm a student, in my late teens, so my budget honestly can't be too high.  If there's a really good guitar out there but it's a little pricy for my current status then I guess I'll have to wait a while and save up for it. Basically, I need a good guitar but the cheaper the better.

2)  I'd like something portable that does not need electricity, so, yes, I'd like an acoustic guitar.  I don't really know what the difference is between nylon and steel strings, but I was originally thinking of steel.  Perhaps you could tell me which you think sounds better though ?

3)  I really don't know about styles!  I guess I'd like to be able to play background chords that voice can go with. Also some solo classical might be nice ?  

4)  I'm in the UK.  England to be more specific. 😉

Hope this helps and if there's any more questions / details you'd like, please do let me know.  

Thank you!

~ Bex

21 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Set yourself a precise budget so we aren't going too high or too low. What style do you want to play? Do you have someone who's sound you like and want to emulate/incorporate into your own playing? These will help narrow down the field for us.

I don't know, if the guitar is good and will last a long time then maybe £100 max ?? Not sure how good that is for what I'm looking for. As for styles, I guess I'd like to be able to play background chords that voice can go with. Also perhaps some solo classical or jazzy finger plucking might be nice ?  And, no, I don't really have anyone who I'm hoping to be like. I just want to be able to play the guitar really well with a professional instrument that sounds good.

Sorry if my answers are not as professional as you'd like. It's a new field for me so I'm a bit 'uneducated' when it comes to guitars. :) 

Edited by Happy Notes
  • Like 1

£100 doesn’t get you very far these days, I’m afraid. However, it’s hard to go wrong with a Yamaha, as they don’t make a bad instrument at any price point, IMO. But a quick look on the Guitar Guitar website reveals that their cheapest Yamaha classical (nylon strung) is £115. If at all possible, it’d probably best to go to a guitar shop and see what they have/recommend, they may have some 2nd guitars that fit your budget. Given that you have a background with violin and ukulele, a nylon strung classical guitar might be a more comfortable entry into guitar, it would certainly lend itself to classical and jazzy pieces and is more than ok strummed too. However, it is a very mellow sound and will not reproduce the zinging highs of a steel strung guitar.

• Like 2

On 23/12/2022 at 19:35, ezbass said:

£100 doesn’t get you very far these days, I’m afraid. However, it’s hard to go wrong with a Yamaha, as they don’t make a bad instrument at any price point, IMO. But a quick look on the Guitar Guitar website reveals that their cheapest Yamaha classical (nylon strung) is £115. If at all possible, it’d probably best to go to a guitar shop and see what they have/recommend, they may have some 2nd guitars that fit your budget. Given that you have a background with violin and ukulele, a nylon strung classical guitar might be a more comfortable entry into guitar, it would certainly lend itself to classical and jazzy pieces and is more than ok strummed too. However, it is a very mellow sound and will not reproduce the zinging highs of a steel strung guitar.

This is very helpful, thank you! :)

1 hour ago, ReneAsologuitar said:

A local pawn shop might have a used acoustic guitar for sale.

Or even a Craigslist listing that might be close to you.

If you have a friend (that plays the guitar) that can come check out the guitar with you, then much better...

The UK equivalent would be Gumtree, and there might well be someone on this very Forum with a guitar to sell in that price range. It would help even more to know where in England you're based, as, at that budget, collection would be far better than posting or courrier. I would echo the advice about having someone who already plays come along to check  any potential purchase. 

Another option could be Thomann, a well-known and reputable source of musical instrument throughout Europe. They have a section of 'B-Stock' instruments, which are usually returns, or with some slight cosmetic defect. Here are two currently listed, which might squeeze into your budget...

Nylon-strung classical Ortega RST5 MBK B-Stock, £114 +£10 shipping...

Steel-strung folk Harley Benton HBO-850 Classic Black B-Stock £104 + £10 shipping ...

Either of these would be a fine beginner's guitar, with a guarantee. Their new price is attractive, too, if 'B-stock' doesn't inspire.

Hope this helps... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

On 26/12/2022 at 18:54, Dad3353 said:

The UK equivalent would be Gumtree, and there might well be someone on this very Forum with a guitar to sell in that price range. It would help even more to know where in England you're based, as, at that budget, collection would be far better than posting or courrier. I would echo the advice about having someone who already plays come along to check  any potential purchase. 

Another option could be Thomann, a well-known and reputable source of musical instrument throughout Europe. They have a section of 'B-Stock' instruments, which are usually returns, or with some slight cosmetic defect. Here are two currently listed, which might squeeze into your budget...

Nylon-strung classical Ortega RST5 MBK B-Stock, £114 +£10 shipping...

Steel-strung folk Harley Benton HBO-850 Classic Black B-Stock £104 + £10 shipping ...

Either of these would be a fine beginner's guitar, with a guarantee. Their new price is attractive, too, if 'B-stock' doesn't inspire.

Hope this helps... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thank you very  much for your help, advice and recommendations, Douglas!  Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crusoe said:

If you want a campfire-style guitar (you know the sort of thing, some good looking guy with long, wavy hair produces one at a party and all the girls start ignoring you), it's hard to go wrong with a Yamaha F-310

Thank you, Crusoe!  Will have a look at this one

• Like 3

On 23/12/2022 at 19:35, ezbass said:

Agree that Yamaha acoustics are great value for the money. I've owned one, an FG Series for over 30 yrs now. A modern equivalent Yamaha would be a safe bet imo. 👍

Edited by Slider58
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1