bassbiscuits

NGD - bargain Yamaha acoustic

Hi all,

I’d been on the lookout for a back up acoustic guitar to my well gigged Crafter GE-7 which has been my only gig-worthy acoustic for the last 20 years (fingers crossed it hasn’t let me down yet).

Wasn't looking to spend big bucks on a spare. But spotted this rather lovely guitar for sale locally for £40 including a stand! It’s a 2006 Yamaha FG512SJ - from what I can tell these were made in Taiwan for the Japanese market.

It needed a bit of TLC (a loose machine head and missing it’s endpin, a replacement for which is in the post at the moment) and benefited from a good clean and a restring but wow it’s great! Like a good Yamaha acoustic, it’s loud, bright and very easy to play.

I’m on the lookout for a sound hole pickup now to make it giggable and very much looking forward to how it sounds onstage (I had a fairly basic Fishman pickup many years ago which I suspect got sold with its host guitar at the time. Bummer. Will keep looking.)

I love a good instrument even more when it’s something cheap and cheerful that punches above its weight! 

4B71D489-FE8D-4EC3-B0E3-6EC144082F12.jpeg

541D6BEE-DA30-447B-8B83-1FBAE3435812.jpeg

84C310CC-C074-4638-9EC4-2FD2A1AC8D32.jpeg

• Like 2

I've got a Yamaha FG400A, bought it in 1990. Since then I've got numerous other guitars, but the Yamaha has stayed with me. Sounds as good, if not better than when I first got it. Not an expensive guitar, about a hundred quid back then if I remember right, but I reckon Yamaha's make some great guitars for the money. image.thumb.jpg.c13b68bd37080bcf55888224b13c1193.jpg

• Thanks 1