Hadzol123

Repainting acoustic guitar

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum but wondered if someone could help me out. I'm also new to guitars and stuff.

I've got an old guitar, actually my grandpa's which he was throwing out, and wanting to do a repaint/design on it, bit like a graffiti guitar. 

I've sanded it down and wondered if anyone would have any recommendations for primer? Should I get a spray or just paint on?

Any tips on painting/graffitingba guitar, please let me know as well. 

4 hours ago, Hadzol123 said:

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum but wondered if someone could help me out...

Hmm... Photos would help. Without seeing the project, then, I'd suggest that, if damage was to be done, it's already done. I'm assuming that the acoustic qualities of the instrument are now of little importance..? If it's to be hung on a wall, a coat of undercoat, to seal the sanded wood, and then paint away. The result depends more on your artistic talents and taste; I would use an airbrush with acrylic paint for a project of the sort, but brushwork would be fine, too, if that's what you're best at using. If the result is to be durable, (and worth it...), a final coat, once the painting is over, with a clear acrylic varnish will protect to some extent the artwork.
All of this with some reservation, and subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others.

Photos (before and after..?) would help, though. B|

i once had a housemate that repainted his acoustic guitar with a collage of all of his friends and family as Simpsons characters painted using acrylic artists paints, it looked fantastic but totally killed the acoustic properties of the guitar, he ended up buying another guitar for playing and the painted one was hung on the wall.

anything other than a thin coat will completely ruin any acoustic properties, it might be possible to save this one with a thin coat of something but depending how the finish was removed it might be too late (especially if coarse sandpaper was used as it may have thinned the wood and getting it smooth enough to re-finish will thin it even further)

as @Dad3353 has said, some pictures of the guitar will help.

if you want a stage guitar with an unusual/customised finish you would be best staring with a solid body electric, the addition of extra layers of paint will have only the tiniest effect on the sound, any additional paint can easily be applied over the top of the existing finish.

Matt