FrankAtari

Custom Pickguard Assembly

Hi there wonderful people,

as some of you may know, I am going to get a new guitar. And I would like to upgrade the electronics from day one. Guitar is a Stratocaster copy and I want 3 single coils in it. Actually in the end it is gonna be a partcaster, because I am getting a Harley Benton guitar with the view of upgrading what is necessary etc. 

How do I put together a custom pickguard? Where do I buy switches, pots, wires, the pickups themself, etc. Is all of this available on Thomann?

I also saw they sell pre wired Custom Shop fender pickguards (eg fat 50's pickups) for 250 or something. Is it worth getting a pre-wired one or can I do better (and cheaper) on my own?

Thanks,

Frank

It’s doubtful that you could do cheaper for the same level of components, like building your own guitar to the same spec is always more expensive. The pickups alone seem to be £185 for the set and everything else will be Fender branded/approved (whatever that amounts to), so will easily mount up for the other £65. I have used Allparts, WD and Northwest Guitars for components in the past.

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

It’s doubtful that you could do cheaper for the same level of components

Yeah I had a feeling that would be the case. Any suggestions for a pre-wired pickguard?

I am tempted to go for the Custom Shop Fat 50's but you'll never know what you get until you try. They Fat 50's sound bright and cheerful, but again, who knows...