nwgilbert

Left Hand Guitar for beginners

Hi, I am looking to learn acoustic guitar and been doing some research into beginner guitars for quite some time. Originally I settled and decided on the Yamaha FG800M.

After taking further conservation I thought it would be worth exploring whether or not I am left handed (since I am ambidextrous and left hand in most things).

After a few tests, I am certain that I am left handed in guitar.

I soon learnt that left hand guitars are much more limited and costly than right hand.

So I spent some time looking for another guitar for beginners and came across the Yamaha FG820L.

So I am heading in this direction, however the reason for my posting here is that I have also seen that you can refit the strings in a right hand guitar to be for left handed.

Does anyone know if that's possible and easily achievable and the disadvantages of doing this, rather than buying a left hand guitar?

Hi there and welcome.

Converting a RH guitar to be played LH is normally possible, but to do it properly is quite a technical process that I definitely wouldn't advise a beginner to be attempting (and ironically, acoustic guitars can be more of a challenge than electrics - it's to do with the bridge).

Also, the top surface of the guitar has reinforcement strips applied inside the instrument. Commonly the strips are placed symmetrically, but it isn't a given. Not a big deal in your situation, but just so you know as it can affect both the sound and stability of the instrument. Also, if the guitar has an internal preamp, playing it upside down will mean the control surface is facing the floor in your playing position.

Regulars around here will already know my views on this, but my advice would be to buy a guitar that's built to be lefthanded in the first place. Yes they can be a tad more expeensive and with less choice, but by the time you've factored in the cost of having a technician make the adjustments, the initial cost differential becomes a bit moot.

Yamaha make very good instruments at the price, and your choice is ideal for where you are right now. As time passes and your playing improves, you may feel you want to get a more expensive model, but the same basic rules will apply.

Edited by leftybassman392