SilverDLine

Bedroom tube amp that can take pedals?!

Hello everyone, I've been going crazy in the last period because I want, like said title, a tube amp that can take pedals well and at the same time not shatter windows, I mainly like to jam around and enjoy playing covers.

I've been checking out a lot of amps that have a power soak option and the only one that seems to be acceptable is the EVH 5150 LBX-S which can be taken down to 3.5w.

Other amps I have checked out are:

1- the Boss Katana which I know it's not a tube amp but it has an option of 0.5w and is said to be taking pedals nicely as well as having a nice sound. I have tried this amp in a music shop with various different guitars but after the 3rd guitar it just seems to make them all sound exactly the same from BC Rich to Fenders, so it doesn't really inspire me.

2 - Hughes and Kettner tubemeister deluxe 20, by what I saw on YouTube it has a nice clean but I'm not a huge fan of the distortion channel and tends to start being noisy quite early as soon as an overdrive is in front of it. That being said it has an option of power soak to 1w.

3 - Prs Mt15 seems nice but only has a 7w option.

4- Revv D20 nice but I would probably never use that twonotes torpedo and all the midi/recording/computer stuff side of it. On the upside it does go down to 4w and it's know to take pedals nicely and I also like the sound on its own too

Also briefly had a look at BlackStar HT5R and Laney Ironheart

If anyone is wondering my pedalboard is the following.

Polytune 3 mini

Morley 20/20 bad horsie

Mxr ten band EQ

Keeley compressor +

V1 Kraken

Jhs Bonsai

Big muff

TC Electronic sentry

TC Electronic Corona

Mxr micro flanger

EH small stone phaser

TC Electronic hall of fame 2

TC Electronic Ditto

Thank you 

Antonio

Ultimately, it seems like the EVH 5150 LBX-S could be the best choice based on your criteria. It offers the low-wattage option you're looking for and should handle your pedalboard nicely. It's always a good idea to try amps out in person if possible to see how they feel and sound with your setup. Good luck with your search, and happy jamming!

• Like 1

You mentioned the Blackstar HT5R - they also do a 1W model! I had an HT1R for a few years myself, and was a good little bit of kit for something so tiny. Played quite nicely with pedals, as I recall, and could get surprisingly loud when running flat out.

Worth noting that both HT amps are technically hybrids - think it's a tube in the preamp, and a SS power stage. Not sure how important it is for your amp to be all tube!

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 21:25, EliasMooseblaster said:

You mentioned the Blackstar HT5R - they also do a 1W model! I had an HT1R for a few years myself, and was a good little bit of kit for something so tiny. Played quite nicely with pedals, as I recall, and could get surprisingly loud when running flat out.

Worth noting that both HT amps are technically hybrids - think it's a tube in the preamp, and a SS power stage. Not sure how important it is for your amp to be all tube!

Can you share some of your work?

On 21/03/2024 at 18:43, sundayguitar said:

I've had the Blackstar 1W and 5W. Even the 5W was relatively quiet. You don't cover drums with that. But it's a great bedroom amp!

I don't expect 5W to be plenty, in fact I think it is best suited as a bedroom amp.