The Pinky

Music grades for guitar

Hi one and all,

Wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully in the right place.

This question is purely out of interest and i am not wishing to partake in any exams etc, at 61 I am bit old for going back to school but I would like a bit of appreciation as to where my less formal approach would place me in grading systems.  Any form of grading for me would be pointless for me as I play because I like to and not because I am good, and I want to play what I want to play.

What sort of skills and techniques would be required for each grade and how much practice would be necessary?  I have been learning for about a year now with the aid of an on line group supported by occasional assistance from a local teacher which I feel is complimenting the on line course very well.  I am cracking on with a few scales etc, can move around the fret board, have an understanding of chords and rhythms etc, although my technique still needs a lot of work/practice, and all this is is based around music that I want to play.  I think if I looked at the grading system then I'd probably have bits and pieces from all over the grades.  As i said this is out of interest only and I am aware that i am making progress at a pace I am happy with, although sometimes it does seem that sometimes progress can be particularly slow to come with some techniques etc, which I understand is normal.

Thanks

Alan

6 minutes ago, The Pinky said:

...where my less formal approach would place me in grading systems...

Have a look here, maybe..?

Guitar levels explained ...

From your description, I'd guess that you're about at Level 5, or 6, which would place you around the Grade 2 or 3 mark. Hope this helps; carry on, you're doing fine. Only another half a century to go to become Master Of All Things. rWNVV2D.gif 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Have a look here, maybe..?

Guitar levels explained ...

From your description, I'd guess that you're about at Level 5, or 6, which would place you around the Grade 2 or 3 mark. Hope this helps; carry on, you're doing fine. Only another half a century to go to become Master Of All Things. rWNVV2D.gif 

Thanks for posting, like I said I think a bit of a lot of that and some bits not there, however still a useful sense check.  What would a grade 3 student sound like, I am assuming that everything needs to sound nice and clean?  Because I have a particular interest in music with a blues influence ( I know that encompasses a lot)  I seem to be more "proficient" ( I use that term lightly) in that sort of playing and can now often work out where I should be playing I.e. which key, and am able to play along and do basic solos over tracks.  I am also starting to hear tracks and thinking I might be able to play that, and have on some occasions looked at the tab and proved my thought right.  I have done that with Rule the world by Take That!  The one area that I really need to improve at present is strumming, but I know that will come with practice and guidance, I have noticed some progress over the past couple of weeks.  I have also starting a few finger picking exercises.

BTW I am not sure I have half an century and I am not too concerned about being a Master of all things, I will leave that to you guys! 😄

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crusoe said:

There are other bodies offering grades too.

Rockschool

Trinity College London

I've considered doing the grades, but keep asking myself why - would I be trying to prove something to myself or someone else.

Thank you all good stuff and a handy reference, I do wonder how I would have done had I taken a formal approach to learning the guitar when I was so very much younger.  I am not sure I could put myself through the pressure of testing process and I really don't think it would benefit me now, it's not as if I need a certificate to join a local jam session ( at least as far as I am aware)! 🤣

• Like 1