John2016

Guitar strings

Hello all , I don’t know if I’m in the right section, im very new but I have had my acoustic guitar for at least 2 years when I first start practicing my strings sound buzzing then it gets better , my question is should I put some new strings on the guitar has not been used for them years, what strings are recommended, the guitar is a tanglewood TW 5 with mahogany back sides and top. 
thanks in advance

23 minutes ago, John2016 said:

... should I put some new strings on the guitar has not been used for them years, what strings are recommended ...

A new set of strings are a Good Investment when starting out on guitar. However, it may be useful to find your local guitar tech and have him/her show you how to change a set of strings. It's easy, of course, for those that know how, but can be daunting, the first time, and some important errors would be avoided. Which strings..? Hmm... A rabbit hole to be gone down here, potentially. For basic strumming, the usual recommendation is for a set of phosphor-bronze, with a gauge 13-56 (usually classed as 'Medium'...); these bring out the best of folk guitars, but can be troublesome for those beginning, as they are not forgiving on tender fingers. Personally, I do little strumming, and use the same gauge as my electric guitars (10-47, classed as 'Extra-light'...), which sound fine to me, and are easier for debutants (I've been playing for well over half a century, but still prefer the lighter gauge...). As for manufacture, I use Elixir coated strings, for their longevity, and because my fingers corrode most other strings. The Elixir coating is, to me, undetectable when playing, and doesn't affect the sound at all, but last well over a year, as long as I wipe the fingerboard down after any session. Disclaimer : I'm a drummer; bass and guitar are secondary instruments to me, so I'm not playing several hours a day, typically (unless recording...).
You are likely to get several opinions here and elsewhere; your own experience will guide you in the end, so jump in and enjoy the ride. Seek advice on how to change strings correctly, though; that'll serve you in good stead for decades to come. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353

The fact that you say it gets better after a while leads me to think that it's a technique problem. If you aren't holding the string down with enough pressure, you will get buzzing (be careful not to press to hard, or the note will sound sharp).

If your acoustic guitar strings have been on for two years and you're experiencing buzzing, it's likely time for a change. Consider trying medium gauge bronze or phosphor bronze strings, which complement the warm tone of mahogany guitars like your Tanglewood TW 5.

If the strings have been on that long, there is a very good chance they will have some corrosion - if you run a finger along under the strings, you will likely feel it - it is caused by the sweat in your fingers, which has a small amount of salt in it. This is why you should wipe your strings down after playing, so yes, some new strings are probably a good idea. But, having said that, some corrosion wouldn't necessarily cause them to buzz, although it will deaden their sound somewhat. The buzzing is more likely to be caused by technique being a bit off. If you watch my video about this, it will show you how to avoid that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po_88r7FiUA

On 10/02/2024 at 06:14, Musical Mystery Tour said:

If the strings have been on that long, there is a very good chance they will have some corrosion - if you run a finger along under the strings, you will likely feel it - it is caused by the sweat in your fingers, which has a small amount of salt in it. This is why you should wipe your strings down after playing, so yes, some new strings are probably a good idea. But, having said that, some corrosion wouldn't necessarily cause them to buzz, although it will deaden their sound somewhat. The buzzing is more likely to be caused by technique being a bit off. If you watch my video about this, it will show you how to avoid that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po_88r7FiUA

Mine only takes a few months to discolor and eventually snap.