Ben93

Marshall 15w or 30w for home

Hello I live in a semi detached house and have ok neighbour but obviously don’t want to annoy them. 

im looking at the Marshall mg15gfx and the mg30gfx I play a mix of genres, some black sabbath, green day, sum41, dire straits, the kooks and so on but unsure whether to go for the 30w or the 15w as unsure if I can get the rock sound on the 30w without blowing out neighbours ears however it would be nice to have it there if it can be played with distortion quiet ish as I know it has distortion settings and have the extra 15w available when I practice with mates on the odd occasion etc at he’s insulted outbuilding where the noise isnt as much a concern. 

Thanks for your input 

I have an MG15CFX, it is pretty loud actually, I could do a small pub gig with it, so it's probably okay for what you want. The eight inch speaker is a bit 'trebly' compared to some amps, but it does nevertheless sound like a typical Marshall and considering you can find them for fifty quid on fleabay, they are okay.

Most amps come with a volume control, so you can own a louder amp and just get it as loud as you need... 🙂

And double the watts is not double the volume. It is one of those 'decreasing returns' type thing. Double the watts is only about 3-4db louder.

On 26/01/2024 at 12:45, sundayguitar said:

And why not this one? It has great reputation (although I havent tried it myself) :

https://thmn.to/thoprod/474872?offid=1&affid=1771

I have played through the Katana range and they are great, particularly if you may want to use more than one sound or play more than one style. You can also use them via usb for recording, or output into the PA if you play larger venues (although i think this mutes the on board speaker).

They make the range all the way up from a 7w bedroom amp up to stage friendly models.

They are popular so crop up second hand quite often on eBay or reverb.