Ben93

Palm mute sound for punk rock type music

Hello I’m unsure if it’s technique or mainly a rubbish amp for the time being but basically I’ve played acoustic on and off for a while now and got an electric at Xmas and have been playing green day, nirvana, dire straits, etc sun 41 but on some of the more punk rock type songs like sum 41 etc I can palm mute on acoustic and stuff and electric but I can’t seem to get that aggressive sort of downstroke only chug used on likes of blink 182 sum 41 etc, it’s definitely palm muted and can go from being quite open nearly to very muted to in the middle. But I can’t seem to get the sound I want, 

now I have a Yamaha pacifica 012 and only at the moment have a gear 4 music 15w all and also have a behringer heavy metal pedal which helps when playing something like holiday by green day with the distortion but doesn’t still give me that nice heavy chug sound on the fast palm mute downstrums on other songs, what sort of low/bass mids and high settings would you be aiming for and what sort of pedals could help me out better with that sound an amp is on the cards in future im currently saving but even a pedal for time being to help with sound or on hints and tips on techniques,

Kind regards 

The Pacifica's humbucker is in the bridge position, which makes it a bit more treble-ish than you'd typically want for that kind of sound. With that in mind, probably the easiest and cheapest way to sort that out would be an EQ pedal. Even an inexpensive one will do the job, so take a look at the Behringer BEQ700; you can find these for about 20 quid.

As you expand your playing and eventually end up with a pedal board like most guitar players do, an EQ pedal is something you'd want on that board, so an EQ pedal will be a useful long terms acquisition.

Edited by Musical Mystery Tour

3 hours ago, Musical Mystery Tour said:

The Pacifica's humbucker is in the neck position, which makes it a bit more treble-ish than you'd typically want for that kind of sound. With that in mind, probably the easiest and cheapest way to sort that out would be an EQ pedal. Even an inexpensive one will do the job, so take a look at the Behringer BEQ700; you can find these for about 20 quid.

As you expand your playing and eventually end up with a pedal board like most guitar players do, an EQ pedal is something you'd want on that board, so an EQ pedal will be a useful long terms acquisition.

What would I be aiming to boost or cut out with that wa pedal I wouldn’t know where to start with settings, the humbucker is bridge position on mine and have 2 single pickups one mid and one by neck. 

have ordered that pedal but wouldn’t know where to start. 

Well that's the great thing with graphic equalisers, you can simply set each slider in middle, then experiment with boosting and cutting various frequencies to see what works for you. However, there are some things to consider which are worth trying in addition to that. First up, the order you have your pedals in makes a difference. so, if you have the EQ before the distortion, the range which you have boosted will distort more easily, but if you have the distortion first, only the distorted tone will be boosted. See which order suits you best, there is no wrong way to do it.

Some things to try...

From left to right on an EQ is low to high frequencies. Reducing 100Hz frequencies give the bass and drums more room by allowing those to poke through your guitar sound, if on the other hand, you are playing your guitar solo, a bit of boost to 200-400Hz will beef thngs up, too much of that will make it muddy, so add it slowly and see what pleases your ear. Boosting up at the other end on the 3.2 and 6.4 sliders will add brightness and harmonics. The 800 and 1.6 sliders will thicken things up without getting muddy, so that's good for guitar solos. Cutting the 400 slider will leave the midrange with a free hole for other instruments to come through, but still have your guitar sound pretty full.

All that kind of thing is the essence of what mixing does, both in the studio and in live performances, where you want each instrument to have some space for its main frequencies to come though. You don't have to know all the frequencies, just let your ears be the guide on what you either think sounds good boosted or cut. It will definitely get you where you want to be.

Edited by Musical Mystery Tour