Stebaz

Katana or not katana that is the question

Hey folks,

I currently have a Blackstar HT Studio 20 head and 212 cab. It is becoming a real pain to take to gigs and praccy as the combined weight is nearly 40kg. Friday night involved lugging that weight up two flights of stairs which is doable just not pleasant.

I play two guitars throng the set up, a 2013 Les Paul Standard and a Fender pro II strat. Is use a pedal board with various dirt and modulation pedals through the fx loop on the head.

on Friday, every other guitarist played through a Boss Katana. They sounded great. 

this got me thinking. Currently thinking about a getting either the 100mk2 212, the 100mk2 112 or the artist 100mk2.

Anyone got one, gigging with it and maybe using the fx loop?

Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, Stebaz said:

on Friday, every other guitarist played through a Boss Katana. They sounded great.

I’ve not used one, but from what I’ve read of others’ experiences and the quote above, I reckon you won’t go too far wrong with one. However, the one thing that might be missing is the on stage ‘feel’ of a valve rig that many speak of. For my part, it’s always been about the sound. I’ve used a number of all solid state, hybrid and all valve rigs. The best sounding was an all valve one, but that was closely followed by an all solid state, I interacted with the sound not feel. YMMV.

Thanks.

I get what you’re saying about that valve feeling. I just want something that’s gonna be a little lighter to lug around.

I’ve also been thinking about the Blackstar St James el34.

19 hours ago, ezbass said:

Just looked them up, man alive they’re light! Quite pricey though.

Yeah they’re not cheap. If you look around you can get a deal. 212 or 112 that’s the question🙈

1 hour ago, Stebaz said:

Yeah they’re not cheap. If you look around you can get a deal. 212 or 112 that’s the question🙈

Depends on whether headroom/volume or weight is most important. I tend to feel that most 2x12 cabs aren’t really big enough to be efficient.

• Like 1