walks

walks

After many years of struggling with an acoustic, I've recently acquired a Squier Affinity/Fender Starcaster composite electric and find the sound good and, more importantly, much easier to play. So much so, that I'm planning to ditch the acoustic for good and buy a second electric which I'd like to be a different style and sound to my current model. I can't really justify paying much more than around £300 for a used electric and I like the look of some sort of Les Paul, but would be grateful for suggestions please. 

On 20/12/2023 at 19:21, EdwardMarlowe said:

Yes, Epiphone, Tokai and Vintage also all make a great LP type, but HB's vfm is such a no-brainer, that'd be where I'd start too. 

Would you get one of those for under £300? You might even struggle to get one second-hand, especially Epiphone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Would you get one of those for under £300? You might even struggle to get one second-hand, especially Epiphone.

A quick search of LeBonCoin (like Gumtree, for France...) shows up 28 Epiphone Les Pauls at 300€ or less, in our region (Pays de la Loire...). Three or four look to be splendid. Just sayin. rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 22:13, Crusoe said:

Not new, no. I still can't get over how Epiphone prices have skyrocketed.... Never understood why Gibson would never produce a 'Gibson Japan' or similar, rather than keep pushing on with runs of YouWHATnow? expensive Epiphones (there's brand perception for you!), but they must know the business better than I do. 

Used, well..  Tokai you occasionally see a used bargain on one of the Chinese or Korean models, though Tokai seem to be increasingly rare over here now. I have a Korean Epiphone Std, a really nice one, from 1998 I bought new for about £350. I wouldn't be confident of getting north of £250 for it (hell, if it would sell for £500+ it'd have been on eBay long ago!). Vintage still seem to come in under £300 here and there used - I've seem some as low as £150 or so, but the brand is definitely picking up recognition. 

New, all three are much pricier than HB, though I'd consider them its direct competition still in term of instruments as distinct from price band... (back to the benefit of Thomann's business model for these!). 

• Like 1