The Pinky

What to expect when buying new?

Hi and apologies if this is not posted in the correct place but I assumed this would be the best place to ask.  As I have posted elsewhere I am currently looking to upgrade my second hand Hohner which I purchased back at the start of the year and I have made a couple of decisions, the first being that I want an electroacoustic around £300 with a max spend of £400 and I have a couple of models that have caught my eye.  The second decision is to buy new as that way, being a newbie myself, it gives me some protection and the benefit of buying from somebody who knows little or nothing about guitars, a bit like myself really hence the question.  What can I expect from a dealer/seller on purchase?  I have read stories about people who have bought guitars and then having to set them up, I don't really want to spend £3-400 and then have my local luthier have to set it up for me.  I have seen a video from one dealer who appears to do a full job including removing strings and polishing frets etc, is this standard practice?  I would have thought that as a minimum the action would be checked and adjusted if required, or am I expecting too much and that I would basically hand over cash and walk out with a guitar there and then?  When I have bought bicycles in the past it appears to be standard practice to take the bike back in after 6 weeks or so for a quick check and adjustments made if required, this is BTW  a non-francised local dealer.  Would I expect the same as standard when buying a guitar or is it generally not required?  I appreciate that there would be some sort of warranty in the event of faults etc, however I am wondering what if anything is offered over and above this?

Thank you.

Alan

The only thing that I can think of, assuming that you're buying a guitar that you've chosen in a shop (so not online...), 'Are you happy with it, walking out of the door..?'. There's not that much to fuss about with a new guitar that feels good enough to buy. New strings don't need changing, nor frets polished, if it's already good in your hands. If you feel that it needs a set-up for you, after trying it out, maybe it's not 'The One'..? I'd spend more time listening to how it sounds, both acoustically and through an amp of your choosing, the comfort, the feeling that it projects to you. The most adjustment would be getting a comfortable strap sorted out, I'd say. Make sure that a suitable case is part of the deal, too, both for travelling (and taking it home..!) and for keeping it safe at home when not being played. If it feels right, ask what strings are already on it, and either note that, or buy a set for changing when it's due. It's true that I don't buy new, generally, but I worked for several years in a music shop, as a technician, and sold guitars, both acoustic and electric, with very little thought, nor need, for set-ups straight from the shop. At worst, an electro-acoustic might need a new battery, so get one fitted before taking possession. No need to over-think it, I'd say. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The only thing that I can think of, assuming that you're buying a guitar that you've chosen in a shop (so not online...), 'Are you happy with it, walking out of the door..?'. There's not that much to fuss about with a new guitar that feels ............. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thanks that is all very helpful and useful to know.  I have my eyes on a couple of local independent outlets, I am a firm believer in supporting local businesses and try not to use the Internet, and of course it means that I can try before I buy.  I have not been to chosen outlet yet and am not sure if I can name drop on here for any comments - I don't know if that breaks any rules or is considered an ethical thing to do, and although this is one of three local emporiums at present my main reasons for going there first is based on on-line reviews and thier web-site, that may change depending on my experience on visiting. 

I had it in my mind that I would take the soft case that I have when buying a guitar, would a new guitar come with a case or is that something I would need to factor in or negotiate for?  Great tip about buying spare strings, although local my chosen outlet is not on my doorstep.

I have popped into a couple of guitar shops when out and about for work and at present I am erring towards a Tag guitar at present, which feels a world away from my Hohner.  I welcome any thoughts comments or observations.

• Thanks 1

Most physical shops will already have looked at an instrument and made sure it didn't have any issues with action etc before putting them on display. An online service where they are just shifting boxes will be different and minor remedial action may be needed, but most new instruments are decent from the factory and only need minor fettling to get them right for personal preferences.

But any reputable shop will sell a good instrument off the shelf (if it wasn't, they would have sent it back). As Douglas says, if you see and play it in person, you shouldn't need to do anything to it. If it feels right, it feels right. If something feels off then it isn't the one for you. Feel free to negotiate about anything, the smaller the shop, the more flexible they may be about including soft case, spare strings etc but don't pass up a nice instrument just because you don't get a case.

• Like 1

I concur If a shop buy one is happy walking out the door, on-line it is a buyer beware situation and how well you "trust" seller. I have seen first hand a $1200 Gibson turn out to be a $30 Chibson playing make believe, Buyer was out the cash, greenbacks, dinero, rubies, francs, pounds and the seller was in the wind everything associated with seller shut down and they were gone. If one is going to be spending Ludacris amount be in store hands on. This on line and across the pond so to speak no just do not do it