owen

Name this guitar?

A student bought this in asking us to help him restring it. It is clearly going to need more that a new set off strings. Re-setting the neck is only the beginning! I am not expectingn it to be 1901 Martin, but was wondering what is actually is. Any ideas? Does the F stand for Framus?

20231010_090720.jpg

20231010_090725.jpg

20231010_090730.jpg

20231010_090749.jpg

20231010_090800.jpg

4 hours ago, owen said:

... Any ideas? Does the F stand for Framus?

Well, it's not a 'Framus' 'F' (it's reversed, which they never did...); it's more like a hand-scribed copy of the 'Fender' reversed 'F'. A one-piece neck, with no truss rod, so very old, and inexpensive when new. I can find nothing for the two distinctive 'clue' features, i.e: the tuner bushings nor the tailpiece. This last seems to be a five-string tailpiece..? For a banjo..? Maybe the photo is fooling me. No other clues as to manufacture, and it's only worth restoring from a nostalgia perspective (that's to say: not much money to be spent on it...). It's a project, and good for learning how to restore, but the result would be, I'd suggest, rather modest, musically. On the other hand, it's always a shame to put an instrument on the fire. A bare minimum then, to get it playable, but there's no monetary value in there, I suspect, and nothing that needs preserving as 'original'. Hope this helps; let us know what is decided..? Meanwhile...

Have a splendid day.

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353