The Pinky

Recording to tablet

Chatting to a neighbour who said that he records tracks to an iPad, apparently there is an app and various devices that can enable this.  I've had a quick Google and after working through the plethora of adverts I still don't really know if and how I can achieve this with a Samsung tablet, and of course I dare say there are a whole variety of options, apps and gizmos to choose from, I would welcome any thoughts, observations and advice please to help with how I go about this.  This is purely for my personal use and I have dreams of produce the next biggest hit to distribute to millions, so it needs to be on a minimal budget.

TIA

Alan

2 hours ago, The Pinky said:

...thoughts, observations and advice please...

I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to do, but, for most possibilities, I'd be very surprised if your Samsung doesn't already have all you'll need, at least for starters. Of course we don't know what model it is (given that, we could probably look up the doc and guide you more...), but I'll assume that it has basic video camera functions..? If so, choose a well-lit room, and place a chair before a neutral background (a closed curtain, or a plain wall..?). Set up the Samsung to be able to film the chair, then set it to 'Record', go to the chair with your guitar, and play. When you've finished, end the recording and see (and listen to...) what was captured. Would this be a good enough starting point..? If not, what else are you wanting to achieve..? Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not quite sure what you're wanting to do, but, for most possibilities, I'd be very surprised if your Samsung doesn't already have all you'll need, at least for starters. Of course we don't know what model it is (given that, we could probably look up the doc and guide you more...), but I'll assume that it has basic video camera functions..? If so, choose a well-lit room, and place a chair before a neutral background (a closed curtain, or a plain wall..?). Set up the Samsung to be able to film the chair, then set it to 'Record', go to the chair with your guitar, and play. When you've finished, end the recording and see (and listen to...) what was captured. Would this be a good enough starting point..? If not, what else are you wanting to achieve..? Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Sorry perhaps I should have been more specific, I've just re-read my post and seen the error of my ways!  What I am after is apparently it is possible to plug an electric guitar directly into a iPador similar and lay down a track, with the option to record further tracks over the top.

6 minutes ago, The Pinky said:

Sorry perhaps I should have been more specific, I've just re-read my post and seen the error of my ways!  What I am after is apparently it is possible to plug an electric guitar directly into a iPador similar and lay down a track, with the option to record further tracks over the top.

Do you only have a Samsung tablet..? If that's your only option, at least tell us which model. Over to you again...  rWNVV2D.gif

I will be honest, I have tried and I will save you the disappointment.

You will need to get a guitar to USB adapter/interface and run the gauntlet about whether it is compatible (despite what they say on the box...). I tried several which all professed to work and really struggled. There are certainly more options available to the iPad user.

You need third party apps for the recording and sounds, but it is difficult to get the routing properly for you to use guitar amp app and then also a recording app. I spent many nights in frustration trying to get it to work. I could eventually get clean sound with no effects or amp into recorder, or play with sound and effects but not record.

In the end I just gave up and bought a zoom h4 off ebay which allowed me to plug in my normal mic and normal effects board in and record 4 tracks. After that it was just an easy step to a full hardware 16 track recording desk and then again onto PC. If you have a PC (or mac) would suggest that one of the free DAW programs like Cakewalk by Bandlab would be an awful lot easier (if not less convenient to carry around) to get you going with the free demo versions of some of the amp software, otherwise a digital portastudio (Tascam / Zoom / Boss all do small, almost pocket sized multitrack recorders for reasonable cost) with enough tracks to do your project. You will save time and frustration and get laying down your music.

Edited by randythoades

@Dad3353 and @randythoades thanks for you thoughts etc, however based on what I have heard so far it sounds far more effort that I am prepared to undertake for what I envisage I will get out of.  Thanks again and this sort of information is exactly the sort of thing that forums like this are good for amongst other things.

On a slight OT note I am a member of a couple of other (non-music) forums which to be absolutely honest are a waste of time and I seldom go there, this forum for me and the conversations hereon however is just about right.

Thanks again,

Alan

• Like 1