miahat

Newbie Guitar Learner

Hey y'all,

I hope this message finds you well. Recently, I picked up the guitar, and I've been using the Guitar Learning Game by Deplike app to help me along the way. I've been practicing chords and strumming patterns, and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. But I'd love to hear about your personal experiences with learning the guitar. Did you have any challenges when you were starting out? How did you overcome them? And for those who also use guitar learning apps, what tips do you have for making the most of them?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, miahat said:

Hey y'all,...

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm old, and don't really know what an 'app' is. I did a quick search and found a couple of twenty-second glimpses, but don't really see how it helps to play music. If it's working for you, carry on; that's the main thing. I learned through many hours with the Mickey Baker Complete Course in Jazz Guitar...

1WrWgCO.jpg

... It's still available (Amazon, and elsewhere...) at a very reasonable low price. Worth every penny; I've worn out several copies over the decades, and still go back to it. B|

Can I offer my standard word of encouragement..?

'It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things sometimes tend to get slightly easier.' rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 2

I think there is no right or wrong way to learn, its your journey.  Paid guitar lessons one on one id imagine would be the best structured way to go providing a clear path to progression and achievement. And with the right instructor would be money well spent.

For me,

I use tabs, listen to the artist over and over, youtube has some great song lessons for all levels, justin and andy guitar, 365 , marty is one my favourites very light hearted.

I dont put any expectations on myself being a newish older player, no time limits to when i achieve this chord or that lick. I can honestly say ive never been frustrated or annoyed at myself for the things i cant quite do yet, all been enjoyable guitar to me is almost like meditation to me, stress free and relaxing.

Id imagine most start of with a 3 chord song to strum along to. Mine was a 4 chord the verve song "lucky man"

Ive tried a couple of apps, doesnt really work for me, each to their own i guess just remember its supposed to be fun whichever ever method you choose to learn with.

Rocksmith + can be a bit of a laugh to mess with, has lessons and a stack for of songs.

Welcome and if I may add my thoughts as a returnee to playing the guitar.  I last played properly (not very well) 30 odd years ago so consider my self to be a newbie.

For me the guitar is not the easiest instrument to play and it's not a quick process to learn, it is not possible to learn in a day, week or month.  My tips would be to keep the guitar in view for you to pick up even if only for a few minutes, in between more focused sessions, focus on specific areas and tunes and don't try to run before you can walk, if you can find somebody to offer onto one advice or sessions then that is a great help.  This has helped me immensely as has learning a little bit of music theory and of course scales! Finally enjoy it!

I don't use apps and am very selective of resources such as YouTube etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1