Razel

EMG 81 Installation on a 200 Rga42

Hello!
I hope that someone could help me with this installation. I do not know how to solder the wires of the new bridge pickup... Do I need to change all the electronics?
https://imgur.com/a/YjcjU69

The old pickup has green, red and white cables and a gray one. I've put a line in the colour of the cable to make you understand where the cable were. The new pickup has only a red cable and a white cable. 
Looking forward to hear from you guys! 

p.s. Sorry for my bad english

23 minutes ago, Razel said:

...Looking forward to hear from you guys! ...

This is not an easy one. The EMG should have four insulated wires : Red, Black, White and Green. The non-insulated 'grey' wire' is the earth. The new pick-up is much more simple, with just one insulated Red wire for the signal, the White wire will be the earth. Without the fourth EMG wire, you'll have to try some experiments. In all cases, the new White wire connects to earth (usually a pot case, where you've put the black circle on the photo. The Red wire from the new pick-up may go to where you've drawn the green circle; try that, and try each of the selector positions to see if it works. If you know where any of the other EMG wires were connected, you could try the new Red wire to there, trying each time all selector positions. Sooner or later, one will work, and there's no risk of anything breaking elsewhere, if your soldering is up to the task. The EMG was conceived with coil-switching features (which the guitar may or may not have exploited...); the new pick-up only has one coil, so coil-switching doesn't apply, of course. The new pick-up is single coil, so will not sound the same as the EMG switched as a humbucker (double coil...); the result will be what it will be. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

20 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This is not an easy one. The EMG should have four insulated wires : Red, Black, White and Green. The non-insulated 'grey' wire' is the earth. The new pick-up is much more simple, with just one insulated Red wire for the signal, the White wire will be the earth. Without the fourth EMG wire, you'll have to try some experiments. In all cases, the new White wire connects to earth (usually a pot case, where you've put the black circle on the photo. The Red wire from the new pick-up may go to where you've drawn the green circle; try that, and try each of the selector positions to see if it works. If you know where any of the other EMG wires were connected, you could try the new Red wire to there, trying each time all selector positions. Sooner or later, one will work, and there's no risk of anything breaking elsewhere, if your soldering is up to the task. The EMG was conceived with coil-switching features (which the guitar may or may not have exploited...); the new pick-up only has one coil, so coil-switching doesn't apply, of course. The new pick-up is single coil, so will not sound the same as the EMG switched as a humbucker (double coil...); the result will be what it will be. Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thank you for your help Douglas, at the end I chose to change all the electronics buying a new emg 81 solderless kit. The Emg 81 I showed in the pictures was a pickup that I wanted to buy...

• Thanks 1