Crusoe

Picking up signals

I had a weird one tonight. I had my amp on and noticed voices. I couldn't work out where they were coming from. Eventually,  I realised the sound was coming from the amp. I then worked out that the guitar was picking up a TV or radio signal. Bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rehearsed in a flat at Crystal Palace, back in the late '60s; it was impossible to not get radio from the amps (There's a whopping great transmitter there...) We tried tinfoil and stuff, but to no avail. We moved the rehearsals to Shepperton in the end. B|

• Like 1

The Voice of the Mysterons.... 

That's the sort of thing as could give you the willies til you figure out what's happening! For years, we lived right in front of the RUC station in Whitehead, with its huge radio tower. I didn't take up the guitar til we'd moved to another house, but it did make me wonder what could have happened if I'd had it then. (My mother did claim to hear the odd snatch of radio signal, through her amalgam fillings from it.) HB are lucky that kid who's raging at them on Youtube over microphonic feedback (same one as started the feud with Rob Chapman a couple of years ago) didn't have that experience. :D

Makes me think, though, there's another feature that those little travel amp-blutooth speaker combos should work in - DAB radio. That'd be a killer app... 

• Haha 1

On 14/06/2023 at 08:57, EdwardMarlowe said:

The Voice of the Mysterons.... 

That's the sort of thing as could give you the willies til you figure out what's happening! For years, we lived right in front of the RUC station in Whitehead, with its huge radio tower. I didn't take up the guitar til we'd moved to another house, but it did make me wonder what could have happened if I'd had it then. (My mother did claim to hear the odd snatch of radio signal, through her amalgam fillings from it.) HB are lucky that kid who's raging at them on Youtube over microphonic feedback (same one as started the feud with Rob Chapman a couple of years ago) didn't have that experience. :D

Makes me think, though, there's another feature that those little travel amp-blutooth speaker combos should work in - DAB radio. That'd be a killer app... 

He gets on my wick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

He gets on my wick. 

Aye. His videos can be interesting (I watched the one on Ed Roman the other day), but he's a bit tunnel vision about everything. On the spectrum, I think. (Which all men are, of course, to some degree - hence male hobbies. Like me wanting the same guitar in all the colours.....)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Aye. His videos can be interesting (I watched the one on Ed Roman the other day), but he's a bit tunnel vision about everything. On the spectrum, I think. (Which all men are, of course, to some degree - hence male hobbies. Like me wanting the same guitar in all the colours.....)

I think he has watched a lot of YouTube videos and decided that you have to be annoyed about everything  when making content.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

I think he has watched a lot of YouTube videos and decided that you have to be annoyed about everything  when making content.

Sounds about right. No harm to the fella, but he can be overwhelming negative to the point where it comes over more like a Stewie Griffin rant than anything - even if some of his points are fair enough. 

• Like 1