Crusoe

I can sing a rainbow...

I am sorely tempted to get one of these Adam Black OM-RB Acoustic Guitar Rainbow | Reverb UK , just for the fun of it. I think they look great. It's not going to be the greatest guitar in the world, but my daughter has their O2-T travel guitar and it's not a bad wee instrument. My only niggle with it is that the nut is set slightly off centre. It's maybe half a millimetre to the treble side, but it still sounds ok.

Certainly makes a statement. I like a guitar that doesn't look entirely traditional, and dare I say, boring.

Might need to have a disclaimer when you gig with it though for people with photo-sensitivity. You might get headaches like a strobe light after looking at it for any length of time!!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/04/2023 at 12:43, randythoades said:

Certainly makes a statement. I like a guitar that doesn't look entirely traditional, and dare I say, boring.

Might need to have a disclaimer when you gig with it though for people with photo-sensitivity. You might get headaches like a strobe light after looking at it for any length of time!!🤣

I'm just a bedroom player, so I'll just have to wear shades. 😁

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 00:21, Crusoe said:

I'm just a bedroom player, so I'll just have to wear shades. 😁

"My guitar's so bright, I gotta wear shades..." Well, it scans... 

Those do look fun. I'm very tempted by the Recording King Dirty 30s over at Thomann. There's something about a cheapo acoustic as long as it plays well.... won't appeal to the people who buy Lowdens and what have you, but somehow those cheapies feel a lot closer to what Robert Johnson and the likes were playing back in the day. Reminiscent of that philosophy Jack White espoused in his White Stripes days, about buying cheap guitars because they tended to be quirkier and have "character". 

Be interested to hear how you get on with it if you do pick one up. Of course you will also be obligated to play some of your teenage Slayer faves on it for the craic... 

• Like 1

I'd probably want to play it before handing over any money but i do like a budget guitar.

my main acoustic is a McIlroy (northern Irish handbuilt by the ex head of the Lowden workshop) so has a hefty pricetag (about £3k now i think) but a cheap chord travel guitar gets almost as much use (got it free from a local facebook group as it needed a setup to get it playing well) and the McIlroy just doesn't work for playing the blues so a Gretsch Jim Dandy with 13's is brought in for bluesy stuff.

I've been looking at the recording king guitars as well, i really fancy one of the resonators buy don't have the space in my house for another guitar.

Sometimes a cheap guitar can really surprise with a great sound, and equally i've played some big name guitars with huge pricetags that felt totally meh (most of them Taylors)

Matt

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I'd probably want to play it before handing over any money but i do like a budget guitar.

my main acoustic is a McIlroy (northern Irish handbuilt by the ex head of the Lowden workshop) so has a hefty pricetag (about £3k now i think) but a cheap chord travel guitar gets almost as much use (got it free from a local facebook group as it needed a setup to get it playing well) and the McIlroy just doesn't work for playing the blues so a Gretsch Jim Dandy with 13's is brought in for bluesy stuff.

I've been looking at the recording king guitars as well, i really fancy one of the resonators buy don't have the space in my house for another guitar.

Sometimes a cheap guitar can really surprise with a great sound, and equally i've played some big name guitars with huge pricetags that felt totally meh (most of them Taylors)

Matt

I hear you. I can well appreciate the quality of high end acoustics, but in all honesty (even moreso than electrics) however beautifully made they are, a lot of them just feel somehow soulless in my hands. I suspect in part that's down to the realisation as I get older how much of the music I really love was written and recorded on "budget" stuff. I sometimes think we hobbyists get hung up on "better / best" gear in a way that working musicians don't, at least not in the same way. Those little Gretsches really appeal to me; the only reason I don't already have one is they don't make 'em left handed. I've seen a few converted (peeling off the scratch=plate sticker I *might* be able to manage myself, but I'd be wary of messing with the nut....), but with the Recording King available lefty, it seems a better idea. 

What's the state pf play with Lowden these days? I remember all sorts of rumours when George left, then there was Avalon(?), then he was making "George Lowden Guitars" - is he still involved at all now? 

Also stumbled across the facebook for Kitara electrics - they look really nice. Beyond what I can justify these days, but definitely something I'd be looking at if I was in that market. 

Edited by EdwardMarlowe