JazzBassGirl

What’s It Worth? Hoyer 1950s Archtop Jazz Guitar
£1234
Cheshire

This is an early archtop Jazz guitar made by Arnold Hoyer. Suspected 1950s but could be early 1960s. 

Hoyer is a large German guitar manufacturer who were well know for quality acoustic and jazz guitars. For its age, this guitar looks, sounds, and plays beautifully. There is some aging to the finish, which you can see from the photos. But it is fully functional with no structural issues. It tunes perfectly and holds strong tension well. It is ready to play and be enjoyed. 

I’ve owned this guitar since 2008 and am absolutely in no rush to sell. It’s gotten me through many music exams and solo performances, but hasn’t had much use over the last 5 years. So if it can find its next loving home it can go. 

BUT I have no idea what it’s worth! 

B95BD41E-9F61-486A-A3DE-E1F4DC27B20E.jpeg

6CA9E3D2-E303-46F2-9574-B426BD5A8E07.jpeg

74B9ABCE-8559-4B42-96D6-2150B1714A29.jpeg

B3649649-9BF7-487F-B10D-F2C547A57943.jpeg

29 minutes ago, JazzBassGirl said:

...BUT I have no idea what it’s worth! ...

Hmm... A tricky one, this. These are excellent guitars, but have a rather niche place in the 'market', appealing to only a narrow band of players and/or collectors, probably due to their rather 'quirky' aesthetic, which is a sign of their time. Looking around briefly at what I see currently offered or sold recently in Europe, there's quite a wide swing, depending on condition (mostly...) and whether or not it has been sold or not..! I's easy to put a hefty price tag on, but at what price does it actually sell for..? Lowest seems to be around the 280€, top price seen 1800€ (top condition, but not yet sold...). Realistically I'd suggest that, judging solely from the photos, that the lower end of the scale would be more reasonable. With its stickers and (to my eyes...) ugly headstock, 200-300€ would be my guess; it could suite someone up to 500€, but it might take longer to find that 'someone'. A hard case would be a 'plus', as would local delivery or courrier (but that might become expensive...).

Disclaimer: No, I'm not an expert in these fields, but I do have similar vintage guitars, with a particular interest in 'jazz boxes'. Subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others. 

Hope this helps, and good luck with the sale. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

There a few similar guitars on Reverb and they seem to correspond with the prices Douglas suggests. If you are able to remove the stickers and polish it up a bit, you be able to get a few quid more, though some people might say that would ruin the mojo,.