RichPhipps

Fret buzz on 17th fret on top e string on accoustic

Hi, I have just brought a new electro acoustic from the web. It is really nice to play and sounds great, but there is a bit of buzz when I play on the 17th fret on the top e string, otherwise all other frets and strings are sound. Is this something that can be sorted quite easily or should I look to send it back? It wasn’t a cheap guitar (for me anyway), and is a little annoying for an otherwise fantastic guitar. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it just needs a setup. Might be a slightly high fret or a slightly low bridge that might need adjusting, which your luthier of choice can sort easily enough.

Fair play though reaching up to 17th fret on acoustic, I don't think that I have gone north of 12th fret more than a handful of times on acoustic. In fact, I rarely get higher than 15th on electric.

I agree with @randythoades; that's right at the end of the neck, and rarely visited. The 'fix' is easy for any half-decent guitar tech (probably either a fret dress on the last frets, or raise the bridge saddle a tad...), so it would pay handsomely to take it to someone serious and get this little niggle sorted. You'll have peace of mind for decades, and it shouldn't be a costly exercise at all. You don't give your location, so we can't really recommend any known good addresses, though. It's not worth sending it back, as its replacement could well be worse in another area..! Hope this helps. B|

Douglas

• Like 1