eduzc

Breaking Benjamin - Diary of Jane (Band Cover)

2 hours ago, eduzc said:

Hi there!!

Just finished recording and mixing this song :)

Hope you all like it...

Good evening. I'm sorry, but the best I can do is what is sometimes called a 's*** sandwich', so... Well done on the video front; it's not easy to get all the elements synced up, with multiple views. Good work , there. What's 'less good'..? The mix. I listened through monitors, then with my headset, and had to compare to the original (I don't know the band or the track...), and your mix doesn't fare too well in comparison. There's a wall of low-end mush clouding it all, taking all the 'snap' out of the drums and solo spots (I couldn't distinguish cymbal hits at all...). It's been multi-tracked, and the result is far too dense, with complete loss of detail. A great pity, as the playing is very good (to judge from the video shots, not from the sonic result...). The ultra-low tuning is not doing you any favours, without some delicate filtering and EQ to be able to 'place' everything in its sonic space. The energy is there, the vocals that do come across are convincing; you can all play, no question, so 'Well done' on choosing and realising such a song. Take the stem tracks back for a re-mix, breath some clarity into it all, thin out the mush and retrieve the 'snap', I'd say. rWNVV2D.gif

Disclaimer : I'm a drummer, and old, so my hearing is no longer top notch. :$  In this light, get other opinions for a balanced view. Thanks for sharing; hope this doesn't come across as being cruel; you're doing well.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening. I'm sorry, but the best I can do is what is sometimes called a 's*** sandwich', so... Well done on the video front; it's not easy to get all the elements synced up, with multiple views. Good work , there. What's 'less good'..? The mix. I listened through monitors, then with my headset, and had to compare to the original (I don't know the band or the track...), and your mix doesn't fare too well in comparison. There's a wall of low-end mush clouding it all, taking all the 'snap' out of the drums and solo spots (I couldn't distinguish cymbal hits at all...). It's been multi-tracked, and the result is far too dense, with complete loss of detail. A great pity, as the playing is very good (to judge from the video shots, not from the sonic result...). The ultra-low tuning is not doing you any favours, without some delicate filtering and EQ to be able to 'place' everything in its sonic space. The energy is there, the vocals that do come across are convincing; you can all play, no question, so 'Well done' on choosing and realising such a song. Take the stem tracks back for a re-mix, breath some clarity into it all, thin out the mush and retrieve the 'snap', I'd say. rWNVV2D.gif

Disclaimer : I'm a drummer, and old, so my hearing is no longer top notch. :$  In this light, get other opinions for a balanced view. Thanks for sharing; hope this doesn't come across as being cruel; you're doing well.

Hey man! On first place thanks for your time and suggestions aswell, honestly this song has been a pain in the a** to mix haha I still have a lot to improve honestly.

The original song has a lot of elements and layers on each instrument so it was not easy to emulate. 

Also, I mix most of the times with my headphones so for the next time I´ll keep it in mind to use diferent outpouts :)

Thanks again for your answer and time man!!

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 11:54, Crusoe said:

I'll not talk about the mixing, because I wouldn't know what I'm talking about. The song itself, the playing and the vocals all sound really good. I could imagine this being played on the radio. Well done.

Really appreciate your words. Thanks!!

• Like 1