Thumb pick

Hollow electric acoustic guitar budget price.

hi, I'm thinking of buying a electric hollowed guitar can anyone give me an idea of what the lower end price models are like in comparison to the high end price as to how they sound and how heavy are they I own a Epiphone Les Paul custom and its built like a tank rather heavy for me. hope someone can advice.

thanks in anticipation.

Thumb pick.🎸 

If weight is the issue then you probably need something different.

A hollow body isn't usually any lighter than a standard solid body because they are significantly bigger. Probably lighter than a LP custom but not really than a Strat or Tele.

If a hollow body is really the thing though, I concur with @Crusoe, the Ibanez hollow body are really nice throughout the range. The higher range ones have nicer decoration and pickups, but I think the lower range still really good workhorse guitars and I also chose the AS73 for a time. But I still found it too heavy for me.

Weight is definitely an issue for me so I made my own tele and strat using replacement bodies made from Paulownia (which is much lighter - the wood that the high end Sandberg Superlight basses use), and also managed to find a couple of Vintage (brand) VZ99 Zip guitars. Les Paul junior type but build like a Danelectro and hollow inside. Incredibily light but still a great powerful sound when needed.

Or maybe a different strap might help? I have tried the various Slinger Straps (https://slingerstraps.com/) on my Aria basses which certainly redistribute the weight well, but now on guitar I use a really odd, but really good strap which is the Fender Weigh Less stap (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender®-WeighLessTM-Tweed-Guitar-Strap/dp/B07T75B4XH).

It is effectively elastic and really supports the weight well.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2023 at 07:28, randythoades said:

If weight is the issue then you probably need something different.

A hollow body isn't usually any lighter than a standard solid body because they are significantly bigger. Probably lighter than a LP custom but not really than a Strat or Tele.

If a hollow body is really the thing though, I concur with @Crusoe, the Ibanez hollow body are really nice throughout the range. The higher range ones have nicer decoration and pickups, but I think the lower range still really good workhorse guitars and I also chose the AS73 for a time. But I still found it too heavy for me.

Weight is definitely an issue for me so I made my own tele and strat using replacement bodies made from Paulownia (which is much lighter - the wood that the high end Sandberg Superlight basses use), and also managed to find a couple of Vintage (brand) VZ99 Zip guitars. Les Paul junior type but build like a Danelectro and hollow inside. Incredibily light but still a great powerful sound when needed.

Or maybe a different strap might help? I have tried the various Slinger Straps (https://slingerstraps.com/) on my Aria basses which certainly redistribute the weight well, but now on guitar I use a really odd, but really good strap which is the Fender Weigh Less stap (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender®-WeighLessTM-Tweed-Guitar-Strap/dp/B07T75B4XH).

It is effectively elastic and really supports the weight well.

Those Zipps looked fantastic. 

Danos are still around, though they seen only to do limited runs of limited designs these days (and used ones are shockingly pricey - I wish I'd bought a U2 RI in Camden in 199 when I saw it new for £150; now they go for twice that, at least, used often.) I wonder how long it will be before we see a Harley Benton take on the Dano concept? If their (lovely) Mosrite models have done well, that might be a logical next step... 

• Like 2