Jez M

Rapier Re-issue Breaking Strings

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum, but an old git really. I've been a semi pro musician for over forty years or so, and l've learnt a lot about guitars and pro audio but I have a problem that maybe you could help me with.

Bought one of the new "Rapier 33" guitars, (a homage to the original Watkins one), from ebay (Can't go back to a dealer) . It was sold as like new and it is!! it plays nice sounds nice but it's breaking "E" strings at the trem saddle.

Now i'm struggling to fix this issue, the strings in question are "Ernie Ball" 009.

I've chamfered the leading edge which previously had a sharp chrome edge flush to to surface, this didn't fix it! These "Hi-Lo" trems are across all the Rapier range am I the only one? . Any thoughts?

IMG_20230124_204257.jpg

IMG_20230125_181308.jpg

IMG_20230125_182322.jpg

I recognise the problem (in the UK I was based in Shepperton, with the Watkins works nearby in Chertsey...). It would seem that the ball-end windings don't like the exit from the saddle. As an experiment, try passing a new string through a spare ball-end (you seem to have a few..!), such that the ball can't sit so far down in the seating. This may keep the twisty windings further down, so not on the break angle. A 2BA nut could work, too (you're of an age to know what a 2BA is, no..?). My second recommendation would be to try another brand I use Elixir, but used Fender Bullets for years; they have the ball-end 'slug' moulded into the string, so no twisty bit... If you're married to 9's, that's fine, but they're easier to break than 10's; try upping the gauge, to see..? Report back with progress, successful or not, please..? rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Yes I am old enough to remember 2BA, life was much less rushed back then, I had a Rapier 44, sold it on didn't think I'd want one back years later.
Yes I forgot F-Bullets were plain with no winding, that might be the more favourable solution if it works. Would like to stay on 9s but might have to go 10s.
Either way I'll try all of your  suggestions and report back, Thanks 👍👍

• Thanks 1

I think I may have fixed this issue.

While other strings are on order, I decided to try a bit more honing. With a mixture of diamond tips bullet and ball shaped, finishing with cutting paste on the end of a cotton bud. I didn't want re profile the block so just the minimum.

I played it continuously for a couple of hours giving the trem a bit of a beating, my conclusion is that the sharp edge inside could have been the problem. After saying this it may break tomorrow but it appeared a definite improvement.

IMG_20230128_135328.thumb.jpg.e96991e0d6a9f5abe9dd41644ed474fe.jpg

I couldn't do the double spacer idea because it protruded too far out of the back of the trem block and would foul the body.

IMG_20230126_184934.thumb.jpg.68db64017979d0bc9834d4ee4c96d768.jpg   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1