hyndelegs

Anodized Aluminum pickguards... thoughts?

I saw a telecaster-type guitar today that has an anodized aluminum pickguard. I've read in a few places that this type of pickguard can change the tone of a guitar a bit, possibly making the tone a little darker with more low-end frequencies.

No idea how true this is, and having never owned an electric guitar before, I am absolutely clueless about anodized aluminum pickguards.

Has anyone ever had one before or has one currently? Any pros or cons, or general likes or dislikes about them? Do they feel weird under the hand? Do they make static or buzzing worse? Better?

Any thoughts anyone has that they wish to share would be much appreciated :)

The point of an anodised pickguard was to reduce electrical interference. With modern shielding (when it’s done properly) anodised p/gs aren’t really necessary, more of an aesthetic choice. I certainly don’t buy into it altering the tone in any perceptible way (it’s non magnetic, so can’t interfere with the pickups or string vibration), other than interference rejection (less hum). If you bought the guitar and didn’t like the feel or look, replace it with one that you do.

• Thanks 1

Be aware that, depending on your body’s chemistry, gold finish can strip off quite easily. I see that they’re apparently fitted with tall, narrow frets, these are quite a vintage appointment and make for a different feel. I like these on a bass, but not so much on a guitar. Your experience may vary of course.

• Like 1

Look great, but I don't like the feel of them. I changed the one on a guitar I have for that reason to a plastic guard. 

As for tone, I shielded all the cavities with copper tape at the same time and I did notice what I perceived to be a slight tonal change. Was that the shielding or the change of pickguard? IDK to be honest.  

Edited by Kitt