chongjasmine

My guitar learning log...

I am currently still at module 1 of Justinguitar. I have been practising between switching D and A chord and find some difficulty in doing so. Also, I find it hard not to strum the top 2 strings of D chort and the top string  of A chord.

Furthermore, I find it a hard choice whether to look at my right hand or left hand when I play. If I look at my right hand, I will place the chord wrongly. If I look at my left hand, I will strum the top strings of the D chord and the top string of the A chord.

I am having fun so far, though, and enjoy pracrtising. I am getting better but still not there yet. Sometime, I am unable to sound all the 6 strings of the chord when I play. Some of the strings become muted, and it is hard to make them not muted.

Especially when my string are so tight and pressing hard on them can be so painful. Still, I practise sometimes to make the strings not muted but it is really hard. I am also having a hard time getting my finger to the edge of the fretboard as, is recommended by Justin.

But I am not giving up! I hope to master my A and D so that I can proceed to the next module of Justin's course. I wonder if there is any worship songs that just have A and D chord so that I can practise with them instead of the recommended songs on Justin's site.

Learning guitar is more fun than I remembered, and I hope one day to master the guitar. Meanwhile, my parents and younger brother are constantly betting with each other on when I will give up on the guitar. I hope to prove them wrong. They keep telling me, my guitar skill sucks, and I feel like telling them, at least it is better than them knowing nothing but I choose to keep quiet instead.

Hopefully, ten years down the road, I will prove them wrong.

It does take time to master changing chords. Persevere with it. Why not try just practising the chord changes with the left hand, without strumming, until you get the feel for where your fingers are supposed to go. Then practise the strumming, without forming the chords. Then try putting it all together. What you can try doing is using the tip of the topmost finger (eg for an A chord it will bee the finger on the D string), have it touch against the against open string so that it doesn't ring out if you do accidentally hit it.

Justin's lessons are good. Stick at it and good luck.

@chongjasmine...

You didn't give your location; to judge from using '$', I guess you're not in the UK. That's not a problem, of course, but some replies may not be relevant or applicable. Where are you, please..?
The ideal way to learn from the very start is with a few lessons, face to face, with a competent teacher. I understand that this may not be possible or practical, but it's still the best recommendation.
Having said that, it's not necessary to start 'strumming' at all. Get the chord shape right ('D' is, perhaps, the easiest...), and lightly brush the strings, from the bottom string (the low 'E' nearest your head...) to the top string. As you brush, listen to each string, and practice getting the fretted strings sounding clearly. Remove the left hand from the strings, fret the chord again and brush again. Do this for a while (not long; just a few minutes...), then give your hands a rest. Choose another chord ('A' is fine, but 'E' may be easier; it doesn't really matter too much for now...), and repeat the light, slow brushing from string to string, listening to be sure that each string is sounding clearly. A few minutes, and rest.

As a rule, it's best to practice in short, regular sessions, rather than long ones. Two 10-minute sessions, each and every day, are much better than one whole hour once a week. 'Little and often' is the key.
Playing a guitar does not have to mean playing every string. It's not necessary to 'strum' all 6 strings, all the time (although it is often done, it's not a 'rule'...). You can lightly strum, for a 'D' chord, for instance, only the top 4 strings. With a 'D' chord, the bottom string (the low 'E'...) is not, harmonically, part of the chord, and should not be played, or muted so as not to sound. You will have difficulties with this, and other chords, if you're beginning, so don't try to do things that you think are right; do only the things that will make you a better player. This will involve patience, and some concentration on your part. It seems, at first, as if no progress is being made, but be assured: every guitarist started out in exactly the same way. Go slowly, very slowly; that's the fastest way to get to the destination.
Hope this helps; others may have more advice or tips. rWNVV2D.gif

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

I've had a look at the Justin modules, and they look to be exactly what you need. I wouldn't worry too much about 'worship' for now; you'll  be able to play lots of them soon enough, as many do, indeed, use those three basic chords (D, A and E...). Without the lyrics, all songs are simply Music, anyway. If you need a good one to start off with, using only D and A, I'd suggest 'Give Peace A Chance', which is also part of the Justin module.
Do you have a reliable method for tuning the guitar..? That would be very important, from the beginning. B|

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 18:24, Dad3353 said:

I've had a look at the Justin modules, and they look to be exactly what you need. I wouldn't worry too much about 'worship' for now; you'll  be able to play lots of them soon enough, as many do, indeed, use those three basic chords (D, A and E...). Without the lyrics, all songs are simply Music, anyway. If you need a good one to start off with, using only D and A, I'd suggest 'Give Peace A Chance', which is also part of the Justin module.
Do you have a reliable method for tuning the guitar..? That would be very important, from the beginning. B|

Peggy Sue is another great song using those chords. First song I ever played on guitar. We tried to do a punk version of it 😄

• Thanks 1