levi

What's needed to record guitar and bass

Hey, there's probably been so many similar post but I'm looking to record guitar and bass. Im looking to get studio monitors (M-Audio BX3), an interface, daw and maybe a mic to record my amp . For bass, I'd like to record it through amp sims (amp I have is very small) and for guitar, record it through my  katana mk2 100 because of all the effects. I'll be recording in my bedroom, my budget is 100 for the studio  monitors, 150-200 for audio interface and the DAW, I'm not too sure of the price point. 

Any advice on what to get is greatly appreciated :) thank you! 

Edited by levi

I have had very good results using a Presonus audio interface (Studio 24c) which comes with a fully functioning DAW. I haven't found the need to buy another even though I have tried several out with the trial versions. None offered me anything else that I felt was missing from the Presonus Studio 5 software. I am sure there is huge amounts more functionality for either the Pro version of the Presonus software or of any of the alternatives, but if you are just recording bass guitar and vocals then you won't need it to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about trying to mic up your amp though. A bedroom isn't an ideal acoustic environment so you probably won't get great results. Just use either software amp sims or the USB out on the Katana.

I spent money on getting Toontrack EZ Drummer for quality programmable drums to really lift my tracks, and just use better quality headphones rather than fully fledged studio monitors. I can test the quality of my audio on 'standard' equipment with my Creative computer speakers which gives me a better idea what it will sound like on my phone or in the car.

So my recommendation is £105 for the interface and DAW combined, then £100-150 on your headphones rather than monitor speakers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, randythoades said:

I have had very good results using a Presonus audio interface (Studio 24c) which comes with a fully functioning DAW. I haven't found the need to buy another even though I have tried several out with the trial versions. None offered me anything else that I felt was missing from the Presonus Studio 5 software. I am sure there is huge amounts more functionality for either the Pro version of the Presonus software or of any of the alternatives, but if you are just recording bass guitar and vocals then you won't need it to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about trying to mic up your amp though. A bedroom isn't an ideal acoustic environment so you probably won't get great results. Just use either software amp sims or the USB out on the Katana.

I spent money on getting Toontrack EZ Drummer for quality programmable drums to really lift my tracks, and just use better quality headphones rather than fully fledged studio monitors. I can test the quality of my audio on 'standard' equipment with my Creative computer speakers which gives me a better idea what it will sound like on my phone or in the car.

So my recommendation is £105 for the interface and DAW combined, then £100-150 on your headphones rather than monitor speakers.

Thank you so much for the response, Ive been looking at headphones because of your suggestion, just need them to be comfortable with glasses : )

I'm stuck between the Scarlett solo 3rd gen and the one you currently have, if I was to get the solo I'd use reaper.  (Still no idea about daws, might be best to get the interface you're talking about since it comes with a daw) from what I've researched though the solo sounds better 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, levi said:

Thank you so much for the response, Ive been looking at headphones because of your suggestion, just need them to be comfortable with glasses : )

I'm stuck between the Scarlett solo 3rd gen and the one you currently have, if I was to get the solo I'd use reaper.  (Still no idea about daws, might be best to get the interface you're talking about since it comes with a daw) from what I've researched though the solo sounds better 

I tried Reaper but found it a little confusing. I have friends that love it though and it is free to try and then very cheap to buy. I can't say much about the quality of the recording as not been able to compare directly, but mine is clear and as I was expecting. It can only be as good as what goes in so if you have cheap mics or poor technique, the quality won't be as good than with quality mics and clear playing on either one. I chose the Presonus specifcally for the midi ports so that I can connect my keyboard and old drum machine pad to help with the programming side.

I can vouch for Focusrite - used a Scarlett 2i2 for years, and it was wonderfully simple to set up and use. @randythoades raises a very good point about your recording environment, though: if you're buying monitors, you could make your life harder if you don't also treat your room - ironically enough. A decent pair of headphones might be a better starting point...and when I say "decent," I don't necessarily mean "expensive." A pair of Sony MDR-ZX100 are cheap as chips, and they're surprisingly good while you're getting set up. (Studiospares also have some decent, flatter-response cans for when you're ready to upgrade.)

To second randy's point about your amp: mic placement - not to mention mic quality - can be a real minefield. If you have lots of time to experiment, don't let me stop you, but if you're happy with Katana's USB output then you'll get better results, faster, that way. That said, if you're struggling with the tone, there are plenty of affordable amp sim pedals out there - Joyo do American Sound (Fender-like), British Sound (Marshall-like), AC Tone (Vox) and California Sound (Mesa), which are all knock-offs of the Tech21 Character pedals. Companies like Caline and Donner are making their own versions as well. Fun fact - I don't even own a "normal" guitar amp these days: I just plug one of those in when I want to lay down any electric guitar tracks.

• Thanks 1