Neddy

Hendrix Fuzz Face

Was in the studio and had a near broken-up marshall jtm into a jhf1 Dunlop fuzzface with my single-coil tele.

It got the Hendrix sound perfectly. So now of course I want a fuzz face but am not too keen on the jhf1 as it has no 9v power supply. 

What would get the hendrix tone better, a hendrix mini fuzz face (ffm3) or the band of gypsies fuzz face (ffm6)? Cheers 👍

On 15/09/2023 at 00:45, Neddy said:

Was in the studio and had a near broken-up marshall jtm into a jhf1 Dunlop fuzzface with my single-coil tele.

It got the Hendrix sound perfectly. So now of course I want a fuzz face but am not too keen on the jhf1 as it has no 9v power supply. 

What would get the hendrix tone better, a hendrix mini fuzz face (ffm3) or the band of gypsies fuzz face (ffm6)? Cheers 👍

Eh... well, which Hendrix fuzztone do you want? Jimi used a few different ones across different albums. Worth narrowing down which exact tracks using fuzz are what you're after. Andertons have a decent blog on the general Jimi sound here - https://blog.andertons.co.uk/sound-like/sound-like-jimi-hendrix - though it's not much help on narrowing down the fuzz if it's a very specific one you're after. 

If you want to experiment with a range of different Big Muff sounds (Jimi used an EH Big Muff later on - I think from memory Band of Gypsys era?), the Mosky Big Fuzz might be worth a try - several different variation on the BM sound in one box - https://guitarmetrics.com/products/mosky-big-fuzz-guitar-effects-pedal

If budget is not an issue, go straight to the source: https://www.roger-mayer.co.uk/rockets.htm Roger Mayer was Jimi's studio guy and personally work on / modded all Jimi's pedals. These are a step up again in price from anything labelled with Jimi's image, however if you really want a very specific Hendrix fuzztone (as opposed to a general 'sounds like Hendrix' approach), imo you'll be a lot more certain of getting it with this for a bit more money than the many Jimi pedals that to my ears don't sound massively different than any other, generic sixties fuzz sound  -at least not stripped of the context of absolutely everything else matching Jimi's gear. 

If it is a more general Hendrix tone you want, though, in truth most any half-decent, Sixties-sound fuzz will do the job. The biggest challenge with fuzz I always found is taming it enough for it to be useable: less is always more. Dial it right back to basically 'clean boost' and add in from there. To my ears - ymmv - Jimi never had quite as extreme a fuzz effect going on  as we often assume. 

On 21/09/2023 at 10:45, EdwardMarlowe said:

If it is a more general Hendrix tone you want, though, in truth most any half-decent, Sixties-sound fuzz will do the job. The biggest challenge with fuzz I always found is taming it enough for it to be useable: less is always more. Dial it right back to basically 'clean boost' and add in from there. To my ears - ymmv - Jimi never had quite as extreme a fuzz effect going on  as we often assume. 

I guess it's the same approach most Blues players take with Tube Screamer-style ODs: dial the Drive right down on the pedal itself, set the amp close to break-up point, then control the level of clipping with your guitar's volume pot.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 16:28, EliasMooseblaster said:

I guess it's the same approach most Blues players take with Tube Screamer-style ODs: dial the Drive right down on the pedal itself, set the amp close to break-up point, then control the level of clipping with your guitar's volume pot.

Pretty much. I'm not much knowledgeable about SRV, but my understanding is that's what he did, with Hendrix being a big influence on him. 

Also occurs to me that there's a question to consider - is it the lived sound or the studio sound you're wanting to replicate? I know Jimi used pedals both live and in the studio, but it always seemed to me as best as I could make out at a historical distance that he was *somewhat* more reliant on the amp's own sound live as opposed to the studio - even if he did cane it in the studio as well. 

Fun fact: according to the Hendrix bio Eddie Kramer co-wrote (from memory that's where I read it), Jimi's doctor told him a few months before he died that if he didn't turn down the volume, he'd be stone deaf in two years.