Papabron

Woodworm

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a lovely solid top acoustic that I bought second hand in January. It’s in my room and for the last nine months I’ve been hearing a ticking sound at night. Finally figured out it was coming from my guitar. I think it might be the dreaded death watch beetle which is essentially woodworm. No holes that I can see and the ticking is an even beat rather than fast to slow like the samples I’ve heard of a death watch beatle.

Anyway, does anyone have an experience of dealing with it? I cannot find anything online at all… 

TOA

Edited by Papabron

i've never heard of Insect damage to guitars, Have you tried moving the guitar to another room and see if the sound follows it?

Acoustic guitars will pick up and amplify sounds very well, I'd put my money on this being the case here, the ticking was always there (a clock or watch probably) but the guitar has amplified the previously inaudible ticking enough that it's now noticeable. 

Matt