EdwardMarlowe

Stainless Steel Refrets

So without getting involved in a lot of unnecessary background, I did a bit of digging around reading online about stainless steel frets. Found this article, which is pretty cool -  about the whole process at Sweetwater in the US:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/do-stainless-steel-frets-make-a-difference/

(Plus props to the lady doing this in what is still all too often an overly male-dominated world.)

• Like 1

Interesting. I did manage to guess which was which - I thought the SS frets were just a little brighter, but this could possibly be explained by slight differences in the pickups. It's hard to say if there is much of an actual difference.

Have you every looked at Daisy Tempest's videos on YT? She is a luthier and makes some lovely looking acoustic guitars with not so lovely prices, but when you see the work that goes into them, you can see why they are so expensive.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2023 at 15:04, Crusoe said:

Interesting. I did manage to guess which was which - I thought the SS frets were just a little brighter, but this could possibly be explained by slight differences in the pickups. It's hard to say if there is much of an actual difference.

Sound wise, yeah, it's a bit like the old maple / rosewood board debate on a Strat. To my mind, the primary benefit would be their durability more than affect on the sound. 

On 05/07/2023 at 15:04, Crusoe said:

Have you every looked at Daisy Tempest's videos on YT? She is a luthier and makes some lovely looking acoustic guitars with not so lovely prices, but when you see the work that goes into them, you can see why they are so expensive.

Not yet - thanks for the steer, I'll check that out. 

• Like 1