Soledad

Acoustic strings: D'Addario 'gypsy jazz' 10 - 44

Was looking for a certain something on my acoustic (Furch OM31SR) and not too happy with the sound of the 'standard' phosphor-bronze basses.
So I decided to try a set of these, noting the silver coated basses and the very light gauge.
As I was hoping, the basses sound bright in a warm way - very like the silver-wound silks on my flamenco which I like a lot.

Think I'm going to enjoy these strings a lot. Not for everyone of course and if you're happy with the more normal phosphor bronze 11s or 12s then stick with them. These give a little less volume (suits me), a more mellow sound overall, and make you want to go charging up and down the neck a lot... they are 'nippy'!

I play mainly fingerstyle on the acoustic and they suit well but work very well with a pick too. You have to back off on the power a bit, given they are light gauge.
I think they would be a really interesting option if you have hand issues of any kind.

Definitely worth investigating, around £12 a set, Amazon (via the D'Addario store) next day.
I used to support Strings Direct but their prices are absolute top, and then they hit you £4 for post - which is a mickey-take as they use Hermes/Evri and it takes 4 days to get to you and cost them maybe £1.50. Rant over.

D'Addario EJ83L strings - give em a go!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That sounds good. I don't like the phosphor bronze strings, I don't like the strident tone and I don't like the finger noise.

have started using D'addario Chromes flatwound electric strings on acoustic which i prefer, but would prefer something a tiny bit brighter and maybe a little more percussive.

I might give these a go.

Do you happen to know if they would work with magnetic pickup? I like that mid 70s country sound on occasion.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, randythoades said:

That sounds good. I don't like the phosphor bronze strings, I don't like the strident tone and I don't like the finger noise.

have started using D'addario Chromes flatwound electric strings on acoustic which i prefer, but would prefer something a tiny bit brighter and maybe a little more percussive.

I might give these a go.

Do you happen to know if they would work with magnetic pickup? I like that mid 70s country sound on occasion.

Definitely worth a try from what you're saying - the wound sound is warm ringy and they balance nicely with the trebles. In many respects they are quite like electric strings except the 3rd is wound which I've found sounds far nicer and intonation is better (the plain 3rds on electric sets are famously tricky intonation-wise).

Will definitely work with mag p'ups, 100%

I did find I had to back off quite a bit on the basses as tension is lower than my usual 11' or 12s phophor bronze, but the volume is fine. Just a technique adjustment.

They also do 11s in these but I note the bottom E is only a .46 (on the 10s it's a .45). I'll probably try some 11s next time just for a tads more tension.

I really love these strings and think the fact they call them gypsy jazz is a shame, it probably puts loads of people off if that isn't your style.

Do try them, and maybe report back?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Definitely worth a try from what you're saying - the wound sound is warm ringy and they balance nicely with the trebles. In many respects they are quite like electric strings except the 3rd is wound which I've found sounds far nicer and intonation is better (the plain 3rds on electric sets are famously tricky intonation-wise).

Will definitely work with mag p'ups, 100%

I did find I had to back off quite a bit on the basses as tension is lower than my usual 11' or 12s phophor bronze, but the volume is fine. Just a technique adjustment.

They also do 11s in these but I note the bottom E is only a .46 (on the 10s it's a .45). I'll probably try some 11s next time just for a tads more tension.

I really love these strings and think the fact they call them gypsy jazz is a shame, it probably puts loads of people off if that isn't your style.

Do try them, and maybe report back?

Thanks, I will give them a go next time I change strings. Much appreciated.

• Thanks 1