Soledad

Praise for the Czech makers

Talking acoustics here. Couple years ago picked up a Furch OM31 SR (spruce/rosewood) secondhand. A seriously good guitar. I've played similar size Martins and I reckon a decent Furch can give a Martin a close run. I do like & rate Martins (and some Taylors) but i reckon we have to pay a huge premium for the name, even worse in UK due to £/$ rates etc.

The other maker I rate very highly is Dowina. Not as established as Furch yet, but making some really fabulous guitars at sensible prices - I mean they are high-end guitars so still a grand plus, but excellent value for fine materials and craftsmanship.

I very nearly bought a custom order Dowina recently (til I fell out badly with Richard at Richard's, Stratford). I may try again but deal with Erika at Dowina direct. Anyone considering, I urge you to speak direct to Erika - she is brilliant.

So any other owners of Furch, Dowina out there - experiences??

Here's a pic of my Furch:

F1.jpg

They do look very nice. Czechs have a long history producing violins, double basses etc. I had a Spector bass made there and currently have a NS electric upright which is made there too. Great quality. I must look again at Furch guitars.