FrankAtari

Compressor settings

I have a Boss compressor, the latest model, I think, CP 1X, which is part digital and part analog etc. Now this model has some lights representing the amount of compression applied to the guitar signal, or something like that. Is the compressor still working and affecting the signal from the guitar even if this lights don't flash at all? I use single coils and the output they provide is generally low so it is not easy for this lights to work, unless I am strumming, etc. Also is there a sweet spot for the compression settings? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, FrankAtari said:

... Is the compressor still working and affecting the signal from the guitar even if this lights don't flash at all? ...

No, it's not affecting the signal until the LED bar starts to react. The 'Compression' level is the right-hand knob; turning this up will adjust for lower-level input signals. Top tip..? Turn all of the knobs to 'twelve o'clock' to start with. This 'top tip' works for 80% of everything in Life, and even more with Fx pedals. Once you've 12-o'clocked the controls, adjust the 'Comp' knob to see (and hear...) what effect it has (yes, whilst playing, you fool; it does nothing if you stop playing..!). Use the 12-o'clock as a starting point to adjust, one by one, each control separately, returning each to the centre each time. Then start combining, and listen to the result. Compressors can be a bit of a 'rabbit hole', but I'd suggest, without knowing this particular model that 12 o'clock should not be a rubbish setting, so, if it pleases, use it as a baseline and tweak around that.
Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

No, it's not affecting the signal until the LED bar starts to react. The 'Compression' level is the right-hand knob; turning this up will adjust for lower-level input signals. Top tip..? Turn all of the knobs to 'twelve o'clock' to start with. This 'top tip' works for 80% of everything in Life, and even more with Fx pedals. Once you've 12-o'clocked the controls, adjust the 'Comp' knob to see (and hear...) what effect it has (yes, whilst playing, you fool; it does nothing if you stop playing..!). Use the 12-o'clock as a starting point to adjust, one by one, each control separately, returning each to the centre each time. Then start combining, and listen to the result. Compressors can be a bit of a 'rabbit hole', but I'd suggest, without knowing this particular model that 12 o'clock should not be a rubbish setting, so, if it pleases, use it as a baseline and tweak around that.
Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Douglas

Thanks Douglas it clarifies a few things very well, starting from the flashing LEDs...

• Thanks 1