knirirr

SOLD: Gibson Flying V (needs work) £250
£250
West Oxfordshire

This guitar is discussed in another thread, where an overview of the work that needs doing on it was given.

I think I'll stick to basses so this might as well go to someone who will make use of it. 

More photos are below, which show the new case I got for it as the old one was falling apart.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions, though I probably can't provide any more information than what's in the thread. For example, no serial number is visible externally so I don't know the date (a previous owner having repainted it a rather nice colour).

IMG_3905.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

Edited by knirirr

Strange that there is no evidence of the serial number on the back of the headstock as they are fairly deeply impressed. Even if they used filler you would expect it to sink a little and show witness marks. If I could be sure it was a Gibson I would be interested.

50 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Strange that there is no evidence of the serial number on the back of the headstock as they are fairly deeply impressed. Even if they used filler you would expect it to sink a little and show witness marks. If I could be sure it was a Gibson I would be interested.

I wondered about that as well, but had no particular desire to start scraping off paint (which does appear to be quite thick) just in case it was still visible beneath.

3 minutes ago, knirirr said:

I wondered about that as well, but had no particular desire to start scraping off paint (which does appear to be quite thick) just in case it was still visible beneath.

It is possible it’s there if the paint is thick enough, on the grounds it needs refinishing anyway then a quick careful sand might be worth doing. 

Some more photos are now available.

According to https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/potentiometer/ the pots were made in 1975 and the guitar in or after 1981.
Clearly, the guitar parts and the new case are worth something (though the chance of me being willing to sell off parts is zero), but I'm still hoping that someone who can work on this themselves and get it back into good order would be interested in it.

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

IMG_4077.jpeg

IMG_4082.jpeg

Edited by knirirr