The Pinky

Making Progress

Question

Or more to the point making progress that I am very happy with!  As explained elsewhere I have recently picked the guitar up after far too many years away from the fret board, so I consider myself a beginner.  It has taken a couple of months but this weekend has seen the latest moment of joy when I can see I have made steps forward.  I have gone through the pain with the fingers (and still am) as well as all the other joys of developing stunning techniques and rhythm etc, but I feel this weekend it has all come together somewhat and I actually played through a whole series of chord progressions without watching my left hand, and it sounded okay - not too many buzzes or Duff notes!  There are two things in  particular I can largely attribute this to firstly daily practice of at least 10 minutes each day and guidance from @JLGTuition,  I have no links with @JLGTuition, I am purely a very satisfied member of his Facebook group.  That aside the feeling of achievement and progress that i have made is extremely satisfying, I will never be a world class player and am purely playing for my own pleasure, but to play the guitar is a great thing to be able to do IMO even to my limited abilities.

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

That sounds great, well done for keeping up with the practice, it is certainly a fantastic instrument to play.

But, just for a confidence boost, don't run down your abilities either now or in the future. My guitar teacher back in the day said something to me during a moment of frustration I was having for not being able to master something.

'Just remember that all the artists you are trying to emulate, only play their own material. Eric Clapton can't play like Eddie van Halen, Eddie van Halen can't play like Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck can't play like Chuck Berry, and none of them can play like you **insert your own name**.  Be proud of what you can do, because there is always someone better and someone who hasn't reached those skills yet.'

Everyone plays differently, both good and bad, everyone has bad habits, everyone has their own style. Whatever stage you are at, there are people not as accomplished and look at you thinking that they wish that they could play as well as you. Even recording artists have good and bad bits. Kurt Cobain played completely differently to Eric Clapton with different aggression and different speed and note choice, but would you say that one was better than the other? If the music you play fits your style and the note choices work with rather than against the music, then I would say that it would be considered successful. but there is ALWAYS something new to learn.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2023 at 09:37, randythoades said:

But, just for a confidence boost, don't run down your abilities either now or in the future. My guitar teacher back in the day said something to me during a moment of frustration I was having for not being able to master something.

'Just remember that all the artists you are trying to emulate, only play their own material. Eric Clapton can't play like Eddie van Halen, Eddie van Halen can't play like Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck can't play like Chuck Berry, and none of them can play like you **insert your own name**.  Be proud of what you can do, because there is always someone better and someone who hasn't reached those skills yet.'

@randythoadesthanks for the tips, practice is definitely the key, unfortunately not had too much this past 10 days or so for various reasons such as work.  The other thing I remember is that i will have good days and bad days, sometimes it just clicks and other times it doesn't.  I think the best piece of advice I have been given is just to enjoy playing, that is what I plan to do and that is what I am doing.  I accept the limitations of both my abilities and the time I have available.  You are absolutely correct about us all being on different levels, I must admit I had a great feeling when round a friends one evening.  He bought an electric guitar that sits in the corner of his front room and never gets played, I said that I tinkered a little and he asked me to tune it up for him which I duly did.  I then played a few blues rifs and some general doodling about at which point the others in the room didn't realise I was such an "accomplished player", I quickly put the guitar down and picked up the pint glass before they started asking for requests!  I think his guitar has just sat in the corner gathering dust ever since.

• Like 1