Rikki_Sixx

NGD - Pelham blue ES-339 Pro

Back in July I treated myself to a little Lockdown Luxury. I got a great deal on this Epiphone ES-339 Pro in Pelham blue, which is a beautiful finish. 

It's so comfortable, and as a life-long bassist the chunky neck (compared to every other guitar I've owned) feels really comfortable. Everything about this screams quality, from the tuners to the way it sits on the knee. I would like to move the strap pin to the upper horn though to avoid that slight forward tilt.

Unplugged it sounds great, and plugged in it's amazing. The previous owner replaced the stock humbuckers with a set of Iron Gear pickups - a Hot Slag in the neck and Rolling Mill in the bridge. I didn't realise until I went to collect and tried it out that these things have coil-splitting wired in, so that was a nice surprise. The Grover tuners are great with no 'wiggle room', which is something that's always bugged me on my cheap-o guitars!

There is some light corrosion on the nut around the front of each tuner post and the fretboard and pickup covers are a little grimy, which I didn't notice until re-stringing. I'd like to have the frets polished too, so I might put her in for a set-up in a few weeks time. Until then she's playable, comfortable and envy-inducing! 

And of course, the main event. Pictures!

339-01.jpg

339-02.jpg

339-03.jpg

339-04.jpg

339-05.jpg

339-06.jpg

• Like 2

And there it is - nice (I do like those keystone tuners).

What’s going on in the picture of the neck joint? It looks like a massive chip, but I’m guessing/hoping it’s a reflection.

Im guessing the previous owner had almost as much fun as I did when swapping out the pickups.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ezbass said:

What’s going on in the picture of the neck joint? It looks like a massive chip, but I’m guessing/hoping it’s a reflection.

Thankfully it's just a reflection! These pictures are from the seller and I swear he had more windows than walls.

There is a tiny chip in the clear lacquer (or whatever it is) in the middle of the back which you can just make out in the picture if you know it's there.