Rikki_Sixx

Practising on multiple guitars

Hi guys, how goes?

During lockdown I treated myself to a luxurious ES-339 Pro which I still need to share pictures of (forgive me for I have sinned). I had it with me in the living room but due to boisterous dogs I put it safely in the spare room where my amp lives and brought my beat-up Pacifica downstairs to use with Rocksmith.

I pick up the 339 often after work and boy-howdy that neck feels so different. I'm very much a beginner, and after practising on the slim neck of the Pacifica I later go to play my 339 and it feels like my fingers are in all the wrong places on that chunky neck. I soon adapt, but after recently discovering the F chord that's one I really struggle with on the chunky neck. 

Am I doing myself a disservice by switching between two very different guitars while still learning? Does anyone else come a cropper when they pick up a different guitar?

My Squier Tele and Epiphone Casion Coupé seem to differ wildly, just as your Yammy and 339 do. I don't think you're doing yourself a disservice, it's just something you get used to and it can make you play differently, which I think is a good thing as it can lift you out of a stylistic rut. Vive la difference is what I say (provided it doesn't cause pain)

Oh yeah,

1 hour ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

During lockdown I treated myself to a luxurious ES-339 Pro which I still need to share pictures of (forgive me for I have sinned).

You know the rules...

:useless:

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

...Am I doing myself a disservice by switching between two very different guitars while still learning?...

This depends, up to a point, on your goals. In general, it's no bad thing to become 'flexible', and the body and brain quickly understand what's going on, and make the necessary adjustments. This is helpful further on down the line, when playing other guitars. If, on the other hand, the idea is to become virtuoso in as short a time as possible, then concentrating on one instrument will work slightly better. It becomes a case of 'painting oneself into a corner', but if the goal is to be in that corner, then why not..?
Learning guitar (and other instruments...) is a medium/long-term affair. Be patient; things will happen far more quickly if you go slowly. Play one, or the other, or both; the essential thing is to play. B|
I've several guitars and basses (disclaimer: I'm a drummer...), and go from one to the other with no qualms. OK, I'm rubbish on all of 'em, but that's down to me being rubbish, that's all. :$

• Like 1