midget8290

Learning to play acoustic guitar

Question

Hi all, new to playing any instrument. I've owned my guitar for about 2 weeks nearly now and I can play basic single tabs like silent night, still have a slight vibration on the strings from my fingers slightly moving or touching another string etc but I'll get there. I'm trying to learn chords now but I'm finding it very hard. I'm not sure where I'm suppose to start to learn on my own. Can't afford lessons not to mention with the virus still around I have to be careful as I live with a high risk. Is there a certain person on YouTube or an app anyone can recommend? I wouldn't mind finding an app that is interactive, something like it teaches you to play whatever and then hears you play it etc or something like that.

Any help will be entirely greatful. I'm feeling a bit depressed and thinking I might take to guitar back to be honest

6 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, midget8290 said:

Hi all, new to playing any instrument...

Good afternoon, Midge...

No, it's too early to be renouncing; the road is long, certainly, but paved with so many wonderful moments and joys, separated by short spells of amusing  and interesting sessions. We'll re-consider your abandon in another forty years or so, but in the meantime, have a look at this  set of videos ...

Guitar Chords 101 ...

Quite thorough, and clear, the sessions go through the real stuff for getting satisfaction, but at the same time laying foundations for later progress. Try the first couple, then come back here and tell us how you got on.
There are plenty enough folks here to guide your first steps, so don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest of questions. We've all been there...
It will help if we could know, firstly, what type of guitar you have. Nylon-strung 'classical'..? Steel-strung folk..? Electric..? Other..? Equally, what style of music would you like to play, once up to speed..? Flamenco..? Folk..? Heavy metal..? Jazz..? Other..?
The answers to all of the above will help us help you, so help yourself, and stick with it; it's worth it.

Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Good afternoon, Midge...

No, it's too early to be renouncing; the road is long, certainly, but paved with so many wonderful moments and joys, separated by short spells of amusing  and interesting sessions. We'll re-consider your abandon in another forty years or so, but in the meantime, have a look at this  set of videos ...

Guitar Chords 101 ...

Quite thorough, and clear, the sessions go through the real stuff for getting satisfaction, but at the same time laying foundations for later progress. Try the first couple, then come back here and tell us how you got on.
There are plenty enough folks here to guide your first steps, so don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest of questions. We've all been there...
It will help if we could know, firstly, what type of guitar you have. Nylon-strung 'classical'..? Steel-strung folk..? Electric..? Other..? Equally, what style of music would you like to play, once up to speed..? Flamenco..? Folk..? Heavy metal..? Jazz..? Other..?
The answers to all of the above will help us help you, so help yourself, and stick with it; it's worth it.

Over to you... rWNVV2D.gif

Thank you for your help. I have a Ashbury steel string acoustic. Dont really have a favourite genre to be honest, I like whatever I like. Like I said, ATM the I'm leaning silent night and we wish you a merry Christmas. I know they are songs way to early to play but they are simple songs that I know well for the obvious reason so I thought I'll start with them. Learn something I know and know what it sounds like. 

I haven't looked at the link you sent me yet but I will.

2 hours ago, midget8290 said:

Thank you for your help...

Good Stuff, Midge, and those tunes are splendid for getting started. Can I PM you a Pdf copy of an excellent, albeit very, very old, guitar method..? It may help (it helped thousands of others, some of whom became world-famous..!).

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good Stuff, Midge, and those tunes are splendid for getting started. Can I PM you a Pdf copy of an excellent, albeit very, very old, guitar method..? It may help (it helped thousands of others, some of whom became world-famous..!).

Yes of course. I'll be so greatful. Thank you

Hey Midget 8290, It saddens me to hear you so deflated about learning guitar.

I know 121 private lesson can cost £100 a month which is a lot.

I run an interactive online group class for all different levels. Its very supportive and the students really enjoy it. You can watch others learning whilst learning yourself. Its great fun. Check out www.dmcguitartuition.com and get in in touch

Thanks

Dave