Just now, [email protected] said:

Ive had an idea the idea is for my next guitar project i am going to build a strat eith a humbucker in the middle postion wich will be permently turned on and the two single coils would be what you switch between now i am no expert here so any help would be much appreciated 

I feel a headache coming on 

Isn't this basically the setup that Gibson/Epiphone use on the triple-HB Les Pauls, SGs, Flying Vs, etc, that occasionally crop up in the hands of various metal guitarists? I believe the 3-way switch gives you the options of neck+middle, bridge+middle, and...middle solo? Or possibly neck+bridge? Not sure about the third position.

But in any case, this makes me think you could probably get a wiring diagram for one of these and apply the same layout to your Strat-style concept.

On 21/09/2020 at 16:42, EliasMooseblaster said:

Isn't this basically the setup that Gibson/Epiphone use on the triple-HB Les Pauls, SGs, Flying Vs, etc, that occasionally crop up in the hands of various metal guitarists? I believe the 3-way switch gives you the options of neck+middle, bridge+middle, and...middle solo? Or possibly neck+bridge? Not sure about the third position.

But in any case, this makes me think you could probably get a wiring diagram for one of these and apply the same layout to your Strat-style concept.

I have a vague memory from the early 90s of Gibson doing an HSH configuration in a Superstrat model - the M3? - They also did it in a Les Paul studio too... Those were wired if memory serves to allow amixof tapped and HB tones.... basically, Gibson were trying to sell a guitar that would also cover the Fender sounds... Yes, here we are:  https://www.creamcitymusic.com/1992-gibson-les-paul-studio-lite-m-iii-hsh-translucent-blue-finish/ Something like that could be interesting, though obvs rearrange for SHS.

The standard 3HB Gibson operation is a three way switch which offers neck, bridge and middle, and bridge. I remember John Squire's Seahorses guitars were two LP 3HB Customs; at least seeing them live, I never noticed any marked difference between the sound of those and a regular LP. Always been pretty convinced Gibson just put in three on those to compete with the Strat. 

Middle HB & BridgeSC would, I think, be the stand-out sound on what is being proposed here. Be interested to see it. Always fun to see something different. One of the Thin LIzzy guys - Brian Robertson, was it? - played a Strat with a SSH - standard sc bridge and middle, and a big, chrome PAF style HB in the neck position. I love it when somebody thinks outside the boxlike that. When I started, in my crowd, we all played almost exclusively on bridge pups. I was esoteric in preferring the bridge and middle on my Strat. Only really in recent years I've become more interested in how I use the pups as part of how I play. 

my starting point would be Seymour Duncan's wiring section, they have wiring diagrams for most combinations.

Seymour Duncan Strat Wiring Diagram | Seymour Duncan

rather than having the centre pickup on all the time i would probably go for 3 mini toggle switches, one for each pickup, then you get all the different options, if you always wanted the centre pickup on then you could just remove the centre switch connect the centre white (hot) connection straight to the first lug on the volume control (the one connected to the switches)

I'm not sure which combination of reverse wind/reverse polarity you would need for this to stop any nasty hum. (the regular centre strat humbucker is reverse wind + reverse polarity to give hum cancelling when used with either the neck or bridge pickup. it wouldn't be difficult to add in a col split on the humbucker as well if the pickup had 4 conductor wires.

like this 3S_2mt_1V_1T.jpg (612×792) (seymourduncan.com)