EliasMooseblaster

Unusual string sets for unusual tunings

Normally, I like a 13-56 set on my regular acoustic. It works well for standard tuning, and the odd bit of drop D.

I have, however, recently got into Open C. 13-56 works OK, but I'm conscious that the bottom string, tuned from low E to low C, starts to feel a bit floppy under the thumb. I notice that String Direct carry a few variants with a heavier bottom string: 13-57, 12-59, 13-59, 13-61. Has anyone else tried any gauges like this?

I'm eyeing up the 13-59 Newtone set - pending advice from your good selves - but I am also a bit wary of bringing the same string set up to standard tuning. Should I be?

Have you considered acquisition of a baritone guitar for tunings as low as that..? Ideal, I'd say. New prices start at around £250 or so, second-hand probably available, too, I should think. I've a baritone electric; it plays very well.
Just sayin'; hope this helps. B|

Oh, believe me when I say I've been intrigued by the possibilities of baritone guitars - particularly electric ones! Unfortunately Open C isn't a full-on drop in the guitar's range - if anything, it expands it - so I have strings running CGCGCE. I'm in the dilemma of quite fancying a slightly heavier bottom string, but not wanting to go heavier on the top. But then also wanting to be able to play in standard tuning comfortably...I'm aware that the "traditional" BassChat solution would be to buy an additional acoustic guitar that I can dedicate just to Open C tuning!

• Like 1

i would be a little careful taking a 59 gauge string up to E unless the guitar was well constructed, one of my guitars is only warranted up to 12 gauge strings (cedar top being the reasoning i think) there shouldn't be an issue but that's a  fair amount of tension.

i am lucky enough to have 4 acoustics and only have 2 in "regular" tuning (E-e)

i keep one (Gretsch Jim Dandy 24" scale) tuned one step down D-d with 13-56 gauge strings for Blues playing and another (Yamaha DW Dread) is in Nashville tuning, but again one tone down using the "extra" strings from a 12 string set (the regular strings go on one of the normal tuned guitars) so the gauges are - 26,19,14,10,16,12 I find this works really well as i use both the Gretsch and the Yamaha in the band where i am playing along with another acoustic guitarist so having the alternative tunings helps to give a little interest and stops it getting to muddy sounding.

i have experimented in the past with Nashville on an electric guitar but it didn't suit the band i was playing in at the time.

all my acoustics are fitted with Newtone strings (heritage and masterclass) and i have no intention of buying strings from anywhere else (in fact I have a few more sets on order at the moment)

Is anyone else using Nashville tuning? i had intended to put up a post about it but saw this one first so thought i would add it here instead

Matt