Thomas Southern

Awake and want to chat with someone about guitars, gear, gigs and the music scene in general.

Good morning, Thomas, and ...

Sq1J2dj.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif This is not, however, a 'live chat' forum, so, in that sense, yes, it's not the right place. Still, stick around (or pop in when you want...); you may be pleasantly surprised. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I enjoy talking about gear, performing and guitars. Sometimes back in. Appalachian hills it gets a little lonely. I would say it much like Northern Scotland if I was to guess something as close like the highlands. I’ve owned some wonderful gear over years, performed at many festivals/venues and have some beautiful guitars/gear now. Thanks for reaching out and clearing up that it is not a live chat. Kinda figured it out after a few hours. Lol Here are some current amps I am working with. Really enjoy them both. Early this morning broke a Mesa Boogie DC-3 amplifier and ran it through.a Marshall 2x12 loaded with Celestion Seventy 80s. I have an old JCM800 cabinet loaded with the same speakers except they were made in England. I was surprised that the Chinese build on the same speakers is extremely close to the English broken in cabinet. The little red cabinet is a custom build 2x10 Ragin Cajun Eminence custom build. The speakers have a similar frequency rating response/rating as the Seventy 80s. Yet the 12” speaker really makes the difference on the tone. Both are good just apples and oranges.

00CA8A62-89B1-4813-9A78-AC6F75518415.jpeg

• Like 1

Not much of a guitar player (I'm a drummer...), but I'll confess to being more than partial to a nice, vintage, Hiwatt amp. I had a Custom 50 for quite a while; it got left behind when I moved to France, mid '70s. Our min bass amp is a Hiwatt DR205, a 200w PA head, with KT88 valves. These were useful at one time for demolishing WWII bunkers along the Normandy coastline..!
Nowadays I get by with a Roland JC60, or directly into the PC through my pedalboard when I'm recording stuff. S'not often, these days, though. :$

vQcwW5d.jpg

I've a Bassman 50w, too, but it's been in retirement for some tie now. I must fetch it out again soon...

NpBz44n.jpg

• Like 1

Oh my goodness!!!! I would have been torn apart about losing the Hiwatt!!! Mine is a ‘75. Super clean! Besides dust. The partridge transformers barely have any corruption on them. It is unreal. Sounds great. I used  to have a super clean ‘68 Fender Bassman. Sold it 19 years ago. Picked up what I believe to be a ‘71 Bassman. Rather clean. I need to look as the pots to date it. 

20B4E735-A524-47F2-9A8D-49D661AA048C.jpeg

Edited by Thomas Southern

On 30/07/2020 at 18:22, Dad3353 said:

Not much of a guitar player (I'm a drummer...), but I'll confess to being more than partial to a nice, vintage, Hiwatt amp. I had a Custom 50 for quite a while; it got left behind when I moved to France, mid '70s. Our min bass amp is a Hiwatt DR205, a 200w PA head, with KT88 valves. These were useful at one time for demolishing WWII bunkers along the Normandy coastline..!
Nowadays I get by with a Roland JC60, or directly into the PC through my pedalboard when I'm recording stuff. S'not often, these days, though. :$

vQcwW5d.jpg

I've a Bassman 50w, too, but it's been in retirement for some tie now. I must fetch it out again soon...

NpBz44n.jpg

I like the old Hiwatt simplistic p.a. Head! Wow! Nice bass rig and guitar.