leftybassman392

Peter Green R.I.P.

I don't normally do this kind of thread, but feel I ought to mark the passing of arguably the greatest of the '60s generation of white Blues guitarists.

Time catches up with us all I guess, but a sad day for both guitarists and Blues lovers nevertheless.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 1

For some reason I thuoght he was already dead. Maybe confused him in my mind with Gary Moore (who, of cours,e for many years owned the Peter Green LP).

Green was not directly to my tastes, but his skill was undeniable and it was a terrible shame that he suffered with mental illness, especially during such an unenlioghtened period as to how that was dealt with in the seventies. (My partner's late father suffered from severe schizophrenia which first manifested in the late seventies, and the way this was dealt with throughout the eighties and even into the nieties to some extent is heatbreaking to hear about.) While I can't claim to have listened to his newer material, thewre was something triumphant about the fact that he was able to return to performing later on, and gave so much pleasure to others from his music. I hope he at peace now - though I certainly also hope he's playing the hell out of some sot of ethereal guitar.

Requescat In Pace.

On 25/07/2020 at 18:40, leftybassman392 said:

I don't normally do this kind of thread, but feel I ought to mark the passing of arguably the greatest of the '60s generation of white Blues guitarists.

I don't know who said it, but I'm sure at least one music writer has contended that if he hadn't had those bad acid trips, he could have been bigger than Clapton. Even BB King was a fan, apparently: "[Green] has the sweetest tone I ever heard. He was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."

I feel fortunate that I got to see him play around 1999/2000 - even if he was a shadow of his former self, he still knew his way around the instrument.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 12:00, EliasMooseblaster said:

I don't know who said it, but I'm sure at least one music writer has contended that if he hadn't had those bad acid trips, he could have been bigger than Clapton. Even BB King was a fan, apparently: "[Green] has the sweetest tone I ever heard. He was the only one who gave me the cold sweats."

I feel fortunate that I got to see him play around 1999/2000 - even if he was a shadow of his former self, he still knew his way around the instrument.

Quite so. A warning to everyone who buys into the nonsense that acid can aid creativity.