Si600

From the Bench of...

A little thread to show our non-luthierie projects.

Rules:

Things must be of general interest to the GC audience. I'd love to see your 7 1/4 GWR King Class (even more to drive it) or 100cc V12, but that's not GC.

No WIP, unless you're so squeeeeeeee about it that you have to.

No luthierie, do a proper diary thread for that.

No massive projects, do a proper diary thread for that.

No Model A hotrods, by order of @Dad3353 !

Edited by Si600

I'll kick things off with my first sensible bit of woodworking, a pair of chisel stands.

Made from some unknown softwood that came to us as a pallet. I'm quite liking pallet wood as a build medium, some of the markings under the surface are quite pretty. And it's cheap!

IMG_20200717_102510.jpg

IMG_20200717_102548.jpg

IMG_20200717_102617.jpg

IMG_20200717_102640.jpg

IMG_20200717_102705.jpg

IMG_20200717_102721.jpg

• Like 2

Nice recycling there, and a useful (I'd even say mandatory...) addition to any tool set.
I think I'd have put a lower cross-piece, front and back, just above the level of the chisel's sharp tip, as I'd be wary of them tipping out (pivoting...), especially if carrying the stand. It's happened to me before with a similar stand I made for screwdrivers; chisels would be more dodgy still, clumsy as I am. :$
Just sayin'.

I keep forgetting to update this forum, soz.

An advent(?) star sort of commissioned by MDW. She sees things, and then drops hints about how easy it would be to make. In this case, she wasn't wrong.

It's got process imperfections, but it's all a learning curve.

It's also the first thing I've put my makers mark on, thanks again @Fishman. The decal paper didn't have enough varnish on so it's a bit fuzzy on one edge.

IMG_20201206_110956.jpg

IMG_20201206_111007.jpg

IMG_20201206_111020.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I know I'm just copying and pasting from the mother forum.  You'll live.

A tablet stand, or picture stand if they so wish, for my parents.  Softwood, oak and mahogany. We talk to them over Skype every week and for some reason known best to my dad he insists on having his iPad in portrait orientation, so the stand at the back can't be used,  They prop it up on a book. This started out life as the prototype for my sister's Christmas present.  It showed me how not to to do it .

I couldn't think of anything sensible to make out of two wooden triangles so bashed this together.  The finish isn't great, the chip outs are quite ugly in places, but it works and as a design/functional mechanics I like it.

IMG_20201212_113236.jpg

IMG_20201212_113313.jpg

IMG_20201212_113348.jpg

• Like 1

This is the Christmas present.  Ash, oak and mahogany.

Better, but still not perfect finishing. Again, the mechanics and the design I like, and if (when) I make another it will be broadly the same but with some detail and process changes.  I thought of better ways to make it as I was going along.

IMG_20201212_113028.jpg

IMG_20201212_113056.jpg

IMG_20201212_113150.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/12/2020 at 13:24, Dom in Somerset said:

Apart from a beautiful piece of abstract art ....what is it? 🤔

Oh yeah, I forgot that bit!!  It's a laptop stand.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure why she wants one like it, it doesn't bring the screen up to the correct height for your eyeline but it's too high to use the keyboard comfortably.  Still, she asked for that height off the table so that's what she's got.

• Like 2