PJ-Bassist

Effing Barre Chords

Question

I still can't master barre chords and I desperately need some help from the GC community. 

I just can't get a clean sound out of all six strings when playing barre chords! F Major and A minor are the two I'm trying to master at the moment.  I just can't get a clean sound out of all six strings no matter what I do.

Has anyone got a link to a good instructional video to help, or some pointers to help me get it right?   Typically it's the 1st and 2nd strings that are dead sounding.

Thanks 

PJ

11 answers to this question

Ah, I remember those days and bloody infuriating they were too! The only bone I can throw is that the more you do it, the better you get at it - sorry, it really is a case of practise, practise, practise. What I will say, which is something no one told me way back when, is that the better you get at it, the less you tend to play all six strings anyway. You learn to use the flavour of the voicing from just four notes (sometimes less) and rarely invoke the rowdiness of an all string voicing (Andy Summers is a perfect example of this in songs like Message in a Bottle).

In short, keep at it, the strength will come as with most physical activities.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Ah, I remember those days and bloody infuriating they were too! The only bone I can throw is that the more you do it, the better you get at it - sorry, it really is a case of practise, practise, practise. What I will say, which is something no one told me way back when, is that the better you get at it, the less you tend to play all six strings anyway. You learn to use the flavour of the voicing from just four notes (sometimes less) and rarely invoke the rowdiness of an all string voicing (Andy Summers is a perfect example of this in songs like Message in a Bottle).

In short, keep at it, the strength will come as with most physical activities.

Thanks!  After posting this I saw one of your older posts in the theory / technique section on videos for newbies. The second Rick Beato video kicked off with some tips on playing Barre chords that seemed pretty helpful.

I agree that picking the strings to play is the right approach but I feel that you have to have the foundation right first to make that a choice and not a result of poor technique :).

44 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I agree that picking the strings to play is the right approach but I feel that you have to have the foundation right first to make that a choice and not a result of poor technique :).

Absolutely, good attitude. Once you've got it down, you never really lose it and it certainly bothers you less.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

...some pointers to help me get it right?...

The ease or otherwise in learning this depends to some extent on the guitar used. Can we assume that you're playing these on the guitar in your avatar, ie: an acoustic folk guitar..?
Here's my 'tip'... Start off by laying the index finger across the whole fretboard, at the fifth fret. Gently strum the strings, slowly, to be sure that all are sounding cleanly. Adjust the index until this is so. No need for enormous pressure, just a gentle grip with the thumb firmly in the middle of the back of the neck. Repeat this by releasing the neck, move up a couple of frets and do it again. Take your time, and release-barre progressively, with just the index, at all the fret positions; randomly chosen is fine. The important bit is to lay the index on, then sound the strings, and keep doing this until every note is clear, every time. It won't take long, trust me.

Once that's done (but not until...), go back to the fifth fret, lay the index on (check that it all rings out clearly...), then fret the fifth string 'E' (7th fret...) with the ring finger. Again, check that all notes ring cleanly, repeat at other positions, slowly, until all notes sound correctly.

Now, back to the fifth fret, barre with the index finger, then ring finger to 'E'; now fret the fourth string 'A' (7th fret...) with the pinky. Check for clear sound; change fret, rinse and repeat. You're now playing a barred minor chord (Am, at the 5th fret...).

Nearly there, now..! Back to the fifth fret, barre with index, add ring and pinky to play this Am, then add the middle finger to the third string 'C#', 6th fret and check for clear sound on all strings. That's a barred A Major; well done. Release all, and move around the neck, slowly, doing the same exercise. If it starts to not ring out so well, go back a step or, even better, start again from scratch, with just the index, and do it all again, slowly.

Don't do this for long periods, just a few minutes, no more, then rest your hand, either by playing something else or doing the washing-up or similar. It won't take more than a couple of sessions to get the hang of it anyway, but it's no good forcing the issue and tiring the hands; that will only slow down the process. Have a go, anyway, and report back here with progress. Worth a try..? B|

Edited by Dad3353

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The ease or otherwise in learning this depends to some extent on the guitar used. Can we assume that you're playing these on the guitar in your avatar, ie: an acoustic folk guitar..?

Yes, the guitar in the Avatar is the one I'm playing - I do really need to find a better Avatar for both here and Basschat, and I probably need to update my username since I'm becoming a regular on both :)!

Thanks for the advice, part 1 is fine - I can get a clean sound when I just using my index finger to barre.  It's when the others come in to play it starts to go wrong so I like the idea of practicing by adding one at a time! 

A question, what is the correct, or rather, most effective way to Barre - i.e. should the finger be flat across the fretboard or at a angle? And how much should my finger extend above the top of the fret board, is it best to keep a relatively small amount poking up using more of the upper finger for the barre or is it more effective to have more showing and using the lower parts of the finger?

Edited by PJ-Bassist

4 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

...A question, what is the correct, or rather, most effective way to Barre - i.e. should the finger be flat across the fretboard or at a angle? And how much should my finger extend above the top of the fret board, is it best to keep a relatively small amount poking up using more of the upper finger for the barre or is it more effective to have more showing and using the lower parts of the finger?

That's two questions...

Basically, the index is laid across flat to the fingerboard. If I've interpreted the second question correctly, the index is laid completely over; it should find its position pretty naturally if your thumb is centred on the back of the neck. You'll need all the phalanges to be holding down the strings, lightly but firmly. Don't bother about other fingers until this comes naturally, and produces clean tones, every time you do it, at whatever fret (Disclaimer: it might not be so easy up around the 10th fret; no need to insist there, as it's seldom useful, especially on acoustic guitars...).
Any help..?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Dad3353 - I will practice daily over the coming week and see how I get on with them.

It's been a very frustrating evening - I've struggled to play anything I wanted - even what I thought would be relatively easy songs I'm struggling with because I just can't get my hands in the right positions, or have my fingers cleanly out of the way of other strings so as not to accidentally mute them.  Unfortunately when I correct one, I make the other worse.

Maybe you forgot to order, along with your guitar, the necessary accessory that helps a lot (and I mean 'a lot'..!). Have a look on line and try to find a supplier of Patience. Don't bother with the trial pack; go for the Budget Bucket straight away; you'll be needing it for the next few decades, whatever your activities, and even more so as time wears on. Patience, that's the Key. B|

Oh, and whilst I'm here, allow me to pass on this little word of encouragement; it applies to so many things, but is perfectly adapted to your current issues...

'It's the first forty years that are the worst, after which things sometimes tend to get (slightly...) better.'

There, that should set you up for the week..! ;) Good luck with it all; we've all been there..! rWNVV2D.gif

Hi Guys...I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who would make a You Tube type video showing me how to play the chords and strumming pattern to the Eric Hutchinson song 'Hands'. I am prepared to pay for this...was thinking £50 ($63). I am a beginner but am edging towards intermediate.

It's a common misconception that Martin Barre, of Jethro Tull, invented the barre chord.

This is of course nonsense. He merely introduced them to so-called 'popular music', and as a result they became known as 'barre chords'.

Previously, they were known as 'dito appiccicoso' chords in classical guitar and lute.

• Haha 1