EdwardMarlowe

1968 Stratocaster Project

For years, I've been toying with the idea of building a partsacaster, especially since the likes of GFS now do very affordable, pre-loaded pickguards that would make it so much easier. The idea would be to build it out of bits I can easily  buy, second hand,. keep the spend down..... but for a bit of fun, here's the twist: I want to make a reasonable replica of Hendrix's black 68 Strat with the maple neck. Not looking to spend a fortune, but part of the fun will be in finding something reasonably correct - like a 21 fret maple neck without a skunk stripe, right shape machine heads and such. It'd be *nice* to also have the "correct" routing under the guard, but to keep it affordable I'll probably compromise on details like pick-guard screw placement and body wood- type as necessary. Money no object, I'd do it all perfect, BUT then money no object I'd probably just phone Fender and have them build me a CS of the whole thing.... This is intended just to be a bit of fun where I can get pretty close to the right look (think if you were going to go out with a tribute band, though if I ever play to an audience of more than one it's more likely to be cause I got the cat and the dog to setlle in the same room...), but keep it on a budget. A big part of the attraction is that I am a lefty myself (one reason Hendrix was always an influence) and it'd be fun to for once not have that be a limitation as it normally is when I go guitar shopping.

So.... looking for suggestions on any great websites out there that really break down the 68 so I can get an idea of what's involved in it. Also interested if anyone's aware of soecific models that could be a good source of bits.... like the Blackie-esque "Vintage" brand Strats (though I think that's way more reliced than Jimi's 68 was by 1970).

It's likely going to take some time, but....

Looks like the tricky bit is going to be finding the right neck at a not too steep price - I want to keep the overall spend to sub £400 all done, as otherwise I might as well just go out and buy thed CIJ 68RI Strat. Got my eye out at the minute for a deal on a Vintage VS6 Icon in Boulevard black - surprisingly, looking at photos, thougfh that guitar is designed to replicate Blackie (obvs), the fake relicnig on it doesn't look a million miles away (per the rule of "from six feet and without looking for it specifically' ) from the wear patterns on Jimi's. Body on the Vintage is poplar rather than alder, but at least on screen they seem close enough as won't matter...  Unless I stumble across something else in the meantime,  a used VS6 might end up being a great donor base, with the advantage that the pickups are probably going to be  worth considering keeping (or saleable, given the Wilkinson name; I'm liking to look of the GFS 60s pickups).

• Like 1

Found some great photos of the reqal Black Beauty here: http://www.electrichendrix.gobot.com/photo2.html

Clearly thebody is less reliced than the Vintage o than in the photos I saw befored (which I now realsie were a replica - an overdone one, clearly!), so probably won't go the VS6 route here. Nice detail: the cut-out Jimi put on the plate so asto be able to reach the truss rod adjustment srew without taking it off. Must remember to add that. I have afeeling I might just have to go all-out and order a neck to get the right spec, but we'll see what trusn up: I'm not in  hurry to have this done just yet. I think I've figured out where I'm gonig to gte most bits, though - just got to wait patiently for the right donor boy and neck.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 12:03, Jazz Club said:

You said this regarding a simple 3 string box guitar kit ( intrigued by the kits, but I'm not sure I have what it takes for the assembly skills.)And you want to build a Strat ?😱

If it's all ready just to screw together, that's fine. Wasn't sure from the look of those box kits whether they needed more work than that.....