PJ-Bassist

Acoustic Guitars - 43 vs 45mm Nut

During lockdown I've been picking up my old battered acoustic alot - I've decided to thin the bass collection and fund a new acoustic guitar. 

Most music stores are still closed so I can't get out to try one easily so will buy online from somewhere with a good returns policy.

The two guitars I've seen that really excite me from various YT demo's both have 45mm nuts - My current acoustic has a 43mm - any thoughts on how much difference it makes to the feel of the guitar? 

Thanks

Ha, here you go.

The full body picture is a stock image from google, the other two are from the store's website but are of the actual guitar I walked out with.

acoustic-guitar-auden-neo-chester-cutaway-electro-acoustic-guitar-2_2000x.thumb.jpg.c0a7e5e80df13eb92249506448e633e9.jpg

dsc_0674_059cda7a34.thumb.jpg.aa1285fe93ccc4097e20ef15b229fcd6.jpg

dsc_0671_a9f480ead9.thumb.jpg.5a64f6ca7efe500212f37b182229487e.jpg

I was originally looking at faith's but they only did the cedar / mahagony wood combination with a 45mm nut.  The Auden had it in a 43mm and the overall feel and playability of the guitar is wonderful.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 2

Nice looking guitar. Interesting thread...  I've recently noticed the same difference in dimensions. My long-term acoustic, bought back in 2002, is a Tanglewood TW15NS LH... this one: https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/left-handed-guitars/tanglewood-tw15ns-lh-guitar.htm I'm quite shocked by how much they are now - Tanglewood were not quite as big a name (more known as a sort of 'Tokai for acoustics') back then as they are now in that world - it was seen as a "budget all-solid" at the time. As I recall, the full retail was £300 / £330ish. 

I don't think I want to part with that guitar. Cosmetically, I'm not a fan of dreadnoughts, but it has a really nice sound, and it has aged well. Years ago I foolishly left it sitting out in warm weather and it developed a small crack in the top, but it can barely be seen, and the guys at a local guitar shop (used to be the Bass Centre in Wapping, then move to Whitechapel - alas now long gone, as seem to be very many guitar shops round here save  the ever-disappointing Denmark Street) did a lovely job of patching the back to keep it strong without it affecting the sound in any way. Thing is, though, I'm very much jonesing for a pre-war type looking guitar with a smaller body, and the look of something that some old, dead, unheard of blues guy might have played. A lot of that sort of stuff does seem to have the 45mm nut. Clearly I do just have to get out there sometime and play some.... 

FWIW, my Tanglewood is a 43mm nut. With an electric, I much prefer a 42mm. I know my American Std Strat (1994) is a 43mm nut, and I find more recent, 42mm nut Strats noticeably more comfortable to play for a lot of stuff. I have long wondered, though, how far it's the nut width alone that makes the difference, and how much it's the actual neck shape... A modern or a 50s 'c', and a 50s soft-V are profiles I definitely find much comfier than others. It seems my hand works better with something slightly narrower at the nut **but** deeper front to back. Lesson learned from the Westone Thunder IA I bought some years ago  -and which I am going to sell: it sounds (especially with the actives kicked in) like *that* LP/SG sound I could never find in an LP/SG, but it's not for me asa player - that very 80s, wide/flat neck. 

That Auden has lovely, clean, simple lines. I remember when Lowden guitars first became a big 'thing' (in NI, at least - their "home") in the early 90s, guitars like them and Takamine to an extent bringing this simpler, clean-cut look to things. Those Audens look really nice. The Emily Rose catches my eye in particular - the Neo versions look like a great price for this sort of high end acoustic. Given that the wife has (quite reasonably) suggested I concentrate more on playing a smaller number of guitars than having a pile of 'em around, I'm sort of torn between stretching to something high end like this with a pre-war vibe, and picking up something more budget from Thomann that's in some other ways closer to the spirit of what the likes of Robert Johnson actually played. Compared to back in the day when I started, the fact that I - as a left-handed player - have the range of choice I do now  - is really quite something. It's still limited compared to you non-sinister types, but gone are the days when the words "no left handers" were almost guaranteed to be on the spec chart of any even slightly of-mainstream guitar I cared to look at. 

Enjoy that Auden!