Wylie

Guitar through bass amp and speaker

I am currently playing my Epi Sheraton (used Korean make, new to me) through my little Carvin microbass combo, 10-inch speaker. I am considering buying a DV Mark 50-watt jazz amp head, and I would play through a Schroeder 12-inch cab. As you can see, I have plenty of bass gear, and hardly any guitar gear--except for the guitar!

I've never played the guitar through a guitar amp; just haven't wanted to spend more money on more gear. But am I missing anything I shouldn't miss by using bass amplification and speakers for guitar?

Any thoughts?

Wylie

Edited by Wylie

If you’re not looking channel switching or valve saturation, I reckon a bass amp is fine. Some of the best guitar tones I’ve heard have come from amps originally designed for bass. If what you’re hearing works for you, then you’re good to go. You can always stick some fx or amp modellers in front of the amp if you want to spice it up a bit. However, full disclosure, I own both bass and guitar amps. Having written this, I’m not sure why I have a guitar amp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

If you’re not looking channel switching or valve saturation, I reckon a bass amp is fine. Some of the best guitar tones I’ve heard have come from amps originally designed for bass. If what you’re hearing works for you, then you’re good to go. You can always stick some fx or amp modellers in front of the amp if you want to spice it up a bit. However, full disclosure, I own both bass and guitar amps. Having written this, I’m not sure why I have a guitar amp.

Thanks, EZ. And I might just take myself to a guitar shop one day and try out a guitar amp!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wylie said:

Thanks, EZ. And I might just take myself to a guitar shop one day and try out a guitar amp!

Minefield and a money pit, but a lot of fun. I’m currently using a Fender SuperChamp X2, but nearly went for a Roland Blues Cube. Best sounding amp I ever owned was a ‘59 Bassman Reissue.